Nikon d300s or d7000?

I could save a bundle just buying a used d300 over buying a new 300s and use that money towards some glass or a grip

Now your thinking!!

I was going to get a D7000, but I got a good price on a D300s and after holding both and shooting both, the D300s won.

It is like Nikon gave me a team of engineers and told me to build what I want!

If a used D300 was around when I was shopping, I may have jumped on it. But the D300s has a few tweaks button wise that are really nice. . .

IMO I have the opportunity to play with both cameras.

The D7000 the sensor response better on High ISO than the D300s and the D7000 video is Full HD> against than the D300s which is 720P.

However I really will stick with the D300s for my main camera. The size the grip and the ergonomics make you feel like really you are holding a Pro Camera.

Obviously, the D7000 is 6910 better than the D90.

man this thread made me feel better after reading all the hype over the D7000 I was feeling like my D300s was already obsolete.

I love this camera (300s). I've had it in the rain and in my profusely sweaty hands climbing ancient ruins in the tropics of southeast Asia without a hiccup. My only regret is not having enough $ for a D700 :)

man this thread made me feel better after reading all the hype over the D7000 I was feeling like my D300s was already obsolete.

I love this camera (300s). I've had it in the rain and in my profusely sweaty hands climbing ancient ruins in the tropics of southeast Asia without a hiccup. My only regret is not having enough $ for a D700 :)

The d300s is not an obsolete camera. Is not about the MP is about the quality, and the IQ from the D300 and D300s is superb.

I will stick with my D300 Until they release the D400 and the upgrade for the D700 until them My D300 works like a beauty for me.

What I will be buying are lenses I really want the 70-200 F2.8 and the 105 mm Macro F2.8

One thing i have noticed using my buddys d300 is everything seems over saturated , even after going through the menu and changing the settings several times, and then going back to default settings it still seems to be oversaturated. It looks perfect on the camera lcd but once on the computer it looks wrong. Its not the monitor setting either i tried it on another screen also that i know is set up perfect and still seems to look way to saturated, is this a common issue with an easy fix or is it just the way its supposed to be?

Consider that the D400 is going to contain the same exact sensor as the D7000. My D7000 is incredible. I shoot sports in poorly lit gymnasium's at 6400 2.8 and a small amount of NR in lightroom makes some incredible shots. You sacrifice the frame rate and 9 shot bracketing ability, but the IQ increase is substantial.
D7000 or wait for D400!

I was in the same place last month, after waiting almost a year to upgrade to a new body and just knowing I was going to a D300s I actually tried a D7000 and, well, it came home with me.

I have a gym I shoot in that is horribly lit. With the D90 (same sensor as the D300s and some even say slightly better low light) I get about iso 3200 f1.8 at 1/640 which causes some depth of field issues and really can't stop the ball sometimes. I just shot a game in the same gym Saturday and was getting around iso 6400 f2.2 at 1/800, beautiful!

I have also heard about the buffer size, and shooting in fine JPG I have no idea how many shots I can take before the buffer fills, but I can tell you it never stuttered once with all the action.

Allan

I was in the same place last month, after waiting almost a year to upgrade to a new body and just knowing I was going to a D300s I actually tried a D7000 and, well, it came home with me.

I have a gym I shoot in that is horribly lit. With the D90 (same sensor as the D300s and some even say slightly better low light) I get about iso 3200 f1.8 at 1/640 which causes some depth of field issues and really can't stop the ball sometimes. I just shot a game in the same gym Saturday and was getting around iso 6400 f2.2 at 1/800, beautiful!

I have also heard about the buffer size, and shooting in fine JPG I have no idea how many shots I can take before the buffer fills, but I can tell you it never stuttered once with all the action.

Allan

can you post some of those 6400iso action shots?

I bought the d7000 and i am enjoying it.
Built quality is really nice.
That camera has everything i need.
A bit smaller and weight less (i shoot in crazy locations)
larger mp for studio use.
iso performance is amazing,
dual card is awesome.
i charged 1 baterry and i am running on the same one since i have the camera. 600 picture taken so far. 200 was done in a -25-30 degree celcius weather and i still have 3/4 of the battery power. pretty nice imo.

the only things that bothers me about the camera is the need of removing the grip to get 2 battery it it. BUT, so far,
i charged the battery when i got the camera and i am running on the same one since. 600 picture taken so far and 200 was done yesterday in a -25-30 degree celcius weather and i still have 3/4 of the battery power. pretty nice imo.

Ditto on the battery life. Without flash, I shot 1700 pictures on one charge! I was changing memory cards faster than batteries. I too was getting 1/800 shutter speed at 6400 ISO and 2.8.

still waiting to see some of these 6400iso shots if you can post em

Here are a couple of mine.... iso 6400, f2.2, 1/800sec:

D7K_5695-Edit.jpg

D7K_5648-Edit.jpg

Allan

thanks for sharing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back