Nikon D3100 Lens help

PamGoller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am new to this site and a fairly new photographer i recently bought a nikon d3100 with the standard lens kit 18-55 mm. Any suggestions on upgrading lens i am looking for something wide angel. I shot outside alot and at long lenghts. I have had no problems outta my lens i have now but want more outta it. Any help or advice??

Hello, I am new to this site and a fairly new photographer

Welcome to the forum and to photography in general!

i recently bought a nikon d3100 with the standard lens kit 18-55 mm. Any suggestions on upgrading lens i am looking for something wide angel.

That's a great beginning DSLR. I have used one myself and you can't go wrong with it. If you want wider than 18mm, you'll need an ultra-wide, such as the Nikon 10-24mm (about $800), the Tokina 11-16mm DX II ($700) or 12-24mm DX II ($450), or the Sigma 10-20mm ($480).

I shot outside alot and at long lenghts. I have had no problems outta my lens i have now but want more outta it. Any help or advice??

If you have no problems with the kit lens, what do you mean by you "want more out of it?" Do you just want something that's wider, or do you want something in the kit lens's focal range with a faster aperture? There are some 3rd party lenses from Sigma and Tamron that are in the 17-50mm range that have a fixed f/2.8 aperture, but they're going to cost you at least $300-500 depending on if you buy new or used. If you want a pro-level lens in that focal length, you're now looking at $1,400 for the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens brand new, or a few hundred less used.

Last edited:
Rafterman gave you the better but mroe expensive glass. ;) I'll give the budget lenses for beginners this time, :)

Telephoto/zooms for added reach:

Nikon 55-200mm VR -$249
Nikon 55-300mm VR -$399
Tamron 70-300mm AF non-VR $199
Sigma 70-300mm AF non-VR $144
Nikon 70-300mm G non-AF non-VR $119 (the three three lenses are equal in terms of IQ but the Tamron and Signa have built-in focus motors and a macro switch)
Nikon 70-300m VR ED $589 (the best telephoto for the buck)

Prime lenses for sharp portraits

Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-G $199
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-G $219

Lastly refurbs are cheaper. Check out the usual sites like B&H, Adorama, & Cameta. KEH is also a good resource for used gear too.
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF-D $109 (dows not have a built-in focus motor. like the 70-300m AF-G you have to manually focus on your D3100)

Rafterman gave you the better but mroe expensive glass. ;) I'll give the budget lenses for beginners this time, :)

Nice suggestions indeed :thumbup:, but you clearly missed what type of lenses Pam is looking for...

Any suggestions on upgrading lens i am looking for something wide angel.

i would have recommended a wide angle converter such as this one.

Amazon.com: 52mm wide angle converter lens

But buyer beware! So I didn't but now I just did. Used one way way back. Didn't like it. It was cheap though and a nice paperweight. Nice enough to start a conversation. Haha! :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would start with the Nikon AF-S 50mm F1.8G and or Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G.
Both are most excellent!!! Fast, Prime, Glass!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back