What's new

Nikon D3100?

Jesterhead

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while now, but finally have the drive (and money) to do so.

I'm thinking I will go with a d3100. Good choice? Now, I don't really care to take 1080p video with it, so I doubt I'll use that feature very often. Saying that, is there a better price per features camera out there for me? Around here, d3100s retail for about $550 CAD (body only). Is there a better option for that price point? Something from Canon maybe?

Next is lenses. I'm not sure if I should go with the kit lens (18-55), or buy a 35mm 1.8 AF-S to start off with. I don't mind spending the extra money up front if it'll save me money in the long run. ie, replace the kit lens with the 35mm a year or so down the road. don't really have a preference to what I photograph. Ideally I would just walk around town and take photos of anything of interest to me.

I've got a fairly strict budget of about $1000 CAD to buy my gear.

Opinions?
 
Get a used or refurb Nikon D90, a 50mm f/1.8D lens and an SB-600 flash.

Would help to know what kind of shooting you plan on doing though... but that's about the best combo I could think of for that budget. Actually, the Nikon 18-105 VR wouldn't be a bad lens to start with either - again, depending on your needs. That would give you a nice focal range to see what you shoot at most often, plus it's a good walk around lens.

There's someone here selling a Nikon 18-135 for a good price as well.
 
Hey all,

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while now, but finally have the drive (and money) to do so.

I'm thinking I will go with a d3100. Good choice? Now, I don't really care to take 1080p video with it, so I doubt I'll use that feature very often. Saying that, is there a better price per features camera out there for me? Around here, d3100s retail for about $550 CAD (body only). Is there a better option for that price point? Something from Canon maybe?

Next is lenses. I'm not sure if I should go with the kit lens (18-55), or buy a 35mm 1.8 AF-S to start off with. I don't mind spending the extra money up front if it'll save me money in the long run. ie, replace the kit lens with the 35mm a year or so down the road. don't really have a preference to what I photograph. Ideally I would just walk around town and take photos of anything of interest to me.

I've got a fairly strict budget of about $1000 CAD to buy my gear.

Opinions?

TigerDirect has the Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR w/ 18-55mm Lens for $579.99 after Coupon Code: DCJ14809 (Exp Soon). $5 Economy Shipping. Tax in FL, GA, ID, IL, NC, SD, TX.
 
Get a used or refurb Nikon D90, a 50mm f/1.8D lens and an SB-600 flash.

I'm checking out some reviews on the d90, and I'm liking what I see so far.

Some of the terminology is a little bit over my head at this point though.

What are some of the bigger reasons a d90 is preferred over a d3100?
 
If you don't care for video then pickup a used Nikon D70 instead for around $200ish and spend the majority of your cash on good Nikon lenses. Lenses are where it's at.
 
"What are some of the bigger reasons a d90 is preferred over a d3100?"

D90 features over D3100.

1) Now AF and AF-D lenses will autofocus.
2) Bigger viewfinder with illuminated grid.
3) Dedicated controls and buttons for Focus mode AF-S AF-C,Also button for Single-Continuous-wireless remote selection. ISO,WB,DoF buttons Metering Pattern.
4) Top LCD for seeing all settings at a glance.
5) Two thumbwheels controls for quick changing aperture and shutter.
6) dedicated button to see ISO setting in viewfinder.
7) CLS Flash commander mode for wireless controlling your flashes like the SB-600
8) Auto Bracketing
9) True Battery grip with controls for vertical shots with extended battery use.
10) 3" lcd display - For these old eyes I need all the help I can get. And blurry out of focus shots I can see without zooming to delete.
11) ISO displayed in viewfinder also can change ISO on the fly with the sub-command wheel.
12) Frame rate - D90 gives 50% more at 4.5fps the D60 3fps.

Many that become serious. Became frustrated with the entry level camera like the D3100 within 6-12 months. I got frustrated with lack of controls and features. Smaller viewfinder,No in body motor for more lens choices.

And those make for a more enjoyable and less frustrating experience.

And a D90 can body can be had for $650-$750 range. And will be a camera you can grow into. Instead of one you grow out of your first year. And as mentioned the older camera's like the cheaper D80 or D200 would be one's I would pick before going to a D3100.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom