Nikon D3400 v. D5300 for a beginner?

smstevns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm just getting into photography and purchased the Nikon D3400 camera. I liked the guide mode and how easy it is to use starting out. I'm a little worried I'll grow out of the camera quickly as I learn more. I'm still within my refund period, is it worth spending as extra $120 for the Nikon D5300? It has 39 pts of autofocus versus 11 and some additional features, but I do lose the guide mode.

Any advice?

Thank you, Sean

The d3400 is a basic camera for learning
It doesn't have or allow certain features of the newer d5x00 series

Such as, If you ever see yourself using a remote this is one thing where the d3400 removed the USB port for that. There is becoming more separation between the "beginner" d3x00 series and the intermediate d5x00 series. So I can see some people outgrowing the d3x00 series faster than others.

But it's all about learning how to use the features correctly.

If you can afford it I would say yes.

I can but I'm trying to decide if I should. Can you elaborate as to why you think it'd be good?

The d3400 is a basic camera for learning
It doesn't have or allow certain features of the newer d5x00 series

Such as, If you ever see yourself using a remote this is one thing where the d3400 removed the USB port for that. There is becoming more separation between the "beginner" d3x00 series and the intermediate d5x00 series. So I can see some people outgrowing the d3x00 series faster than others.

But it's all about learning how to use the features correctly.

The remote is a nice feature but I didn't see it as a reason to spend the money. The 39 points of autofocusing appeals to me, I don't know enough yet to distinguish between other specs.

That's the problem; you're photographic technique, style or even what you like to do may not be far enough down the road to be able to answer your own question.

I should mention though when I was looking at the D5x00 series just last year, I dropped the d5300 from my list and only looked at the D5400 as a minimum camera. I think due to ISO and the sensor overall, and other newer features with Wifi and such.

The D5300 was a 2014 camera, whereas the D3400 is a 2016 camera. ISO of d5300 is half of the d3400 for about 1 stop I think better in low light; which if you don't know what that means is better in lower light. 39 v 11 focus points, etc

Last edited:
If you can afford it I would say yes.

The built in bracketing in the d5300 would be worth it alone for me, combine that with the extra AF points and you've got a winner. Same sensor though so functionality is where the differentiating factor is.

There is the old photographic saying, if u'r not sure that you need it than you don't need it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

the D3400 has way more features than the camera I started photography with

The D3400 is a good camera and should suit your needs, but...the D5300 has 3 features I couldn't live without: 1. fully articulating screen, 2. 39 focus points, and 3. auto exposure bracketing. If you don't want or need any of these, get the D3400, otherwise, the D5300 is worth the difference in price.

From what I see of the Guide Mode, you can do that on your own once you learn how aperture and shutter speed work together.

I am pretty sure the D3400 does not have auto exposure bracketing. What you are talking about is manual exposure bracketing, but the problem with that is you have to reset the camera between each shot. That is a problem from a time standpoint and particularly if you are trying HDR.

From what I see of the Guide Mode, you can do that on your own once you learn how aperture and shutter speed work together.
That's the base of the problem. The OP is using the Guide Mode to help them Exposure Control.

The D3400 series is the model to have to help learn the very basics. So it *IS* the best camera for this instance as the other models do not have this. But then the D3400 is losing features and is becoming the "learning" camera and as one learns, the more features of the D5600 is going to be a noticeable step in features.

Guide Mode ==> Nikon | Imaging Products | Easy operation - Nikon D3200

On the opposite side of the spectrum is the D500 which has *no* helper features. No Guide mode, Auto, auto w/flash, Scene or Effect modes. You *have* to know how to use that camera but of course it has *all* to advanced options.

always go for the 24MP D5xxx series over the D3xxx.

In your original post you say D5300 is other choice? But that body is 2 versions old. Current D5000 series is the D5600. If the Choice is D3400 and D5300. Stick with the D3400. But if it's a D5600 keep reading.

Normally I would say stick with the D3400. But if money is not a consideration, and you can return the D3400 without extra expense. I say get the D5600. The D3400 is capable, I have a D3300 I carry when I travel for work. I have better cameras, but don't want to carry their weight, and or risk loosing thousands in camera equipment while traveling for work.

The D5600 does have some extra nice to have features over the D3400. And might last you longer before needing to be traded up. Most serious photographers will gravitate up the Nikon line for better performance and or better access to controls. In the US it's less than $150 difference between the 2. If you don't have to eat noodles every day for a month to do it. I would trade up. The D7000 series is a much pricier jump up. But, if you decided to keep the D3400, you can learn lots with it. And by the time you learn it and photography in general. You will then know what specifics you will want in your next camera later on. After learning, you just make decide to skip a level or two in the chronology of Nikon digital. And move up several levels in a new camera body, because you will know what you want then!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back