Nikon D50 question

Fishy Photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so this is my first official question here. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to technical stuff with cameras. I've got a nikon d50 and I guess the stock lens that came with the camera package. The lens is a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G. That's exactly what it says on the lens. I think I have some idea what all that on the lens means, but I'm not sure. Can someone clarify for me? And how much of a better lens can I get for my camera?

Hi. Welcome to TPF.

DX: lens made for cropped senor (as opposed to full frame)
AF: autofocus (as opposed to manual focus)
S: silent wave motor in the lens (quieter, faster motor to focus the lens)
18-55mm: range of focal lengths of your zoom (from 18mm at the wide end to 55mm at the long end)
1:3.5-5.6: range of maximum aperture (f/3.5 at 18mm to f/5.6 et 55mm)
G: no aperture ring on the lens. The aperture has to b set via the camera body.

Hi. Welcome to TPF.

DX: lens made for cropped senor (as opposed to full frame)
AF: autofocus (as opposed to manual focus)
S: silent wave motor in the lens (quieter, faster motor to focus the lens)
18-55mm: range of focal lengths of your zoom (from 18mm at the wide end to 55mm at the long end)
1:3.5-5.6: range of maximum aperture (f/3.5 at 18mm to f/5.6 et 55mm)
G: no aperture ring on the lens. The aperture has to b set via the camera body.

Thanks that helps alot! Would I be able to get higher quality shots with a more expensive lens? Or is the lens I have already nice enough?

THIS would be the very top of the line lens from Nikon. I almost have enough to get it too!! To bad its back ordered...

THIS would be the very top of the line lens from Nikon. I almost have enough to get it too!! To bad its back ordered...

Oh wow, I don't know if I want to spend that much on a lens for a D50. I see a different Nikon in my near future anyway. Thanks for the info!

Why don't you shoot with the lens you have for a while? By doing so you will understand its limitations (maximum aperture, image quality, focal length range?) and will be able to better decide what your next lens purchase should be. For example, the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens is surely very good but if you shoot a lot of landscapes it might not be wide enough for your needs on a D50.

Yeah what the guy above said.

You have to figure out what is most important for you, shooting wise. Then invest in an expensive lens in that range.

We would need a price range, plus your shooting style in order to give you guidance.

Oh wow, I don't know if I want to spend that much on a lens for a D50. I see a different Nikon in my near future anyway. Thanks for the info!

If you are staying with the Nikon lineup. There is no reason to not go ahead and buy the most expensive lens you can. Since they can be used on all Nikon bodies.

I still use my D50. I will upgrade to the D300 probably in 6 or 8 months, but I have also already plopped down 1k for one lens and 800 for the other.

Thanks for the advice guys! I plan on shooting with the lens I have for a while. I know for sure that I would like more zoom but like everybody suggested, I'd like to learn on it some more. I've heard/read alot of good things about the D300, so I might be investing in one within a few months.

find the Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G lens. SUPER sharp and a really great lens. Not that much faster than the kit lens, but its way sharper and a bit more versatile, IMO

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm

you can find them used or refurbished on amazon for $50!!!! an insane steal

Thanks for the advice guys! I plan on shooting with the lens I have for a while. I know for sure that I would like more zoom but like everybody suggested, I'd like to learn on it some more. I've heard/read alot of good things about the D300, so I might be investing in one within a few months.
I had the D50 and invested in better glass before I got another body. The glass can be used on any body. If you are wanting something inexpensive but, good try the Tamron 28-300mm XR Di f/3.5-6.3. It is a great walking around lense but, doesnt break your wallet. Also teach yourself to shoot in the manual modes like Aperture Priority and, manual. Vary your ISO equivalent and by all means read the manual. Alot of your questions and, some information on basic technique is covered in there. If you dont have a manual you can download a PDF copy at Nikons site.

Most reactions

Back