Nikon D50

Gnarly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at the Nikon D50 for my first camera, I'd just like to hear ANY feedback or complaints you have about it, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I was looking at the D50 as well, but all the reviews I've read say that the D40 is actually an improvement for less money. Just something to think about, but take this with a grain of salt because I haven't owned either, just basing this on what I've read.

I had a D50 for a year and recently traded up to a D80. The D50 is an excellent camera that I would recommend highly. I don't know all that much about the D40, but I do know one thing that would cause me to choose the D50 over it.

The D40 has no internal focus motor. What this means is that all Nikkor D-series autofocus lenses have to be focused manually. The only lenses that will autofocus with the D40 are ones (Nikon & aftermarket) with built-in focus motors.

If you buy a D40, and down the road you decide that you want to expand into the vast array of D-series Nikkor lenses, you will have to focus them manually. The D50 has no such limitation.

I'm sure that Nikon left out the camera body focus motor for reasons of cost and compactness, but to me it's a huge drawback, and one that anyone should be aware of up front. If you're sure that you'll never want to use D-series lenses (or don't mind focusing them by hand), then its not a big issue.

I had a D50 for a year and recently traded up to a D80. The D50 is an excellent camera that I would recommend highly. I don't know all that much about the D40, but I do know one thing that would cause me to choose the D50 over it.

The D40 has no internal focus motor. What this means is that all Nikkor D-series autofocus lenses have to be focused manually. The only lenses that will autofocus with the D40 are ones (Nikon & aftermarket) with built-in focus motors.

If you buy a D40, and down the road you decide that you want to expand into the vast array of D-series Nikkor lenses, you will have to focus them manually. The D50 has no such limitation.

I'm sure that Nikon left out the camera body focus motor for reasons of cost and compactness, but to me it's a huge drawback, and one that anyone should be aware of up front. If you're sure that you'll never want to use D-series lenses (or don't mind focusing them by hand), then its not a big issue.

This has always confused me. I hate to ask a stupid question but: Why would you AF with a dSLR? Isn't part of the beauty of an SLR manual focus? I dunno.. I guess learning without AF made me appreciate MF. AF seems to me to just make a dSLR a glorified point-and-shoot.

This has always confused me. I hate to ask a stupid question but: Why would you AF with a dSLR? Isn't part of the beauty of an SLR manual focus? I dunno.. I guess learning without AF made me appreciate MF. AF seems to me to just make a dSLR a glorified point-and-shoot.

let's put it this way......why would you want to complicate your life using manual focus if the camera can focus for you and does a faster and better job most of the time ?.....but of course....there are times that the autofocus doenst work well and that is when manual focus come in play.....there are many other aspects that one would appreicate the DSLR (selective focus area, white balance control, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, metering mode, change of lense, change of filter, flash sync mode, etc)....but for sure manual focus is not a highly interested component if the autofocus can do a faster and better job at most times.....and using autofocus doesnt make a DSLR a "point and shoot".....using FULL AUTO mode is what makes a DSLR a "point and shoot" i think.......

I was looking at the Nikon D50 for my first camera, I'd just like to hear ANY feedback or complaints you have about it, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

i've used my friend's D50 and it feels good.....and the quality is good......a great entry level piece of equpiment

I believe what's stated is that you have choices with the D50, with the D40 there is no choice of AF with D type lenses.

gnarly, cigrainger,

After 'much' deliberation i plumped for the D50 nearly a year ago now and it has treated me very well so far :D. I would recommend this camera - especially if your looking at the lower ranges of the market.

(and also agrees with everything dinodan says: and will expand it to note that this will apply to lots of the third party ((sigma, tamron, tokina)) lenses available)

If your not tied to any brand yet; consider the cost of the extras your likely to buy in the future - lenses, flash etc. Nikon and cannon have huge ranges of options whilst others are more limited. And costs can vary hugely - much more than the difference in prices of bodies.

cigrainger,

if your looking to MF anyway then consider the following:-
there are plenty of good quality older model lenses that would suit your purpose at a greatly reduced cost compared to buying new

... but these older lenses won't meter (as apposed to focus) on either the D40 or D50

If your thinking of expanding your options either immediately or in the mid term future buying a more expensive body (D200 i think) may be saving money in the long run as you'll be able to take advantage of the great deals out there on the 'venerable' lenses.

But don't knock AF too much - it's the way most of us take (the majority of) our pics.

I have a D50 and love it... One of these days I am going to trade up but for right now I love it. I wouldnt go down to the D40 because of the AF reason.

I felt the same way when I first got a dSLR. I felt like I was cheating by using the AF. The only way I could use AF is if I was telling myself the whole time "I've been MFing for 4 years, I've already proved I can do that", but now I'm much more okay with the AF feature. I mean, think how helpful it will be in close situations where you need to snap the shot in an instant, and you don't have time to get your focus perfect? AF!!

Oh, and I also looked into buying a Nikon D50. I held one in the store and loved the grip on it. I would have bought it, but then my mom decided to help me out on a Sony.

HI, all
My wife has a Nikon D50, which I use often, and it is a good camera, Nikon feel, and images are very sharp and contrast, less noise than my first Nikon D100 and you can use almost all the current Nikon lenses.
I have tested the Nikon D40 and I prefer the Nikon D50 feel an performance.
My personal review:
http://www.juanparmenides.com/Reviews/NikonD50_en.htm

Regards.

Good review. Why do you say (in your post) "almost all the current Nikon lenses"? I don't think that there are any that are incompatible with the D50. Of course, the D50 is being replaced by the D40, so anybody who wants a new one had best get a move on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back