Nikon D5100 or D7000

I am a D7000 user but if you do not need a hard core body and bells and whistles then the 5100 takes great photos and is priced right.

Thanks kshapero. Yeah, I went to Best Buy and held both cameras in my hands. Both are great cameras, but I went with the 5100. The value is there, like I said, $800 for body and lens. I can always upgrade the body when/if they bring out the 7100.

Ziggy I m having the same problem, I started off wanting the d3100 but have enough for the d5100, But I am seriously considering getting a second hand body d7000 with new lense only prob I guess is the fear of being ripped off, CALLING ALL PROS i see alot about shutter counts??! I am totally unknowledgable on such things, When buying a second hand body what must you look out fr? also would you recommend a brand spanker d5100 or risk buying a second hand body d7000?? Its driving me nuts trying to decide, Jessops in uk are trying to flog me the sony a37 I can also afford??.... Please help!!!!

I am by no means a pro, but I've heard that the Mirrorless systems suffer in low light conditions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. I don't know what you plan on taking pictures of, but if you find yourself in low light conditions a great deal then maybe you'll want to rethink that. I like to explore and photograph urban decay, so... :)

The only reason I wanted the 7k over the 5100 was the sealed body, and of course the auto focus motor inside the body. But for a new camera, a 18mm-55mm, AND 55mm-300mm zoom lens all for $800, I really couldn't pass that up. I'm sure in the UK you can possibly get the same deal; I know the 5200 just came out in your area, so they may still have the deals for the 5100 going on. Keep in mind that the D7k has been out since winter 10' and is due for an upgrade; the new 3200 is basically on par with the 5100/7k, sensor wise. :( You can't go wrong with the 5100 or the 7k, but know that you can get more value with the 5100 then you will get with the 7k, and for me that was the principle motive as I'm converting from film to digital. I got two lens and a brand new body for $800. A guy was going to sell me a 7k for $900 with a 35mm lens....I was like, that's it? I mean it's a great camera, but it's not THAT MUCH better of a camera. I researched a lot and came down to value for me. I figured I can learn on this and then decide to buy the 7100 if/when that hits the market. The fact that the 3200/5100 basically has the same sensor ratings as the 7k turned me off and didn't really justify the $ for me. But of course, it's not always about what's "in the camera," but who is behind the camera as well. :) Hope this helps...

I am a D7000 user but if you do not need a hard core body and bells and whistles then the 5100 takes great photos and is priced right.

Thanks kshapero. Yeah, I went to Best Buy and held both cameras in my hands. Both are great cameras, but I went with the 5100. The value is there, like I said, $800 for body and lens. I can always upgrade the body when/if they bring out the 7100.

Ziggy I m having the same problem, I started off wanting the d3100 but have enough for the d5100, But I am seriously considering getting a second hand body d7000 with new lense only prob I guess is the fear of being ripped off, CALLING ALL PROS i see alot about shutter counts??! I am totally unknowledgable on such things, When buying a second hand body what must you look out fr? also would you recommend a brand spanker d5100 or risk buying a second hand body d7000?? Its driving me nuts trying to decide, Jessops in uk are trying to flog me the sony a37 I can also afford??.... Please help!!!!

Same here, I contacted Jessops and they said Sony a37. I guess they have a huge overstoke of these Sonys. If you decide to buy a new 5100 though, check Onestop Digital - it is £363 for a kit. Jessops and John Lewis sell it for £600+. Onestop is in Hong Kong but I have received it by FedEx (Xmas free service) in just 3 days with no tax duty - ordered on Friday and got it Monday afternoon, would you believe that. SD cards I bought from a UK shop the same day arrived on Tuesday.:) Onestop refund it if you get a customs receipt. Google them or check their Facebook page - they have a good reputation. The only drawback is - you have to send the camera body back to HK for a warranty repair. 5100 for just £363 is a real bargain IMHO in England. ( Amazon for £410 probably a safer option) 7000 looks to be a more versatile and durable camera though. I personally would not buy a used one if it is more than 6 months old and if it is not in a pristine condition. And you know you can check the number of shutter activations, don't you?

Last edited:

Not sure what it is like over there but it is getting harder and harder to find the D5100 with the great deal they are offering. I think at this price point many are snagging these up as Holiday gifts...my two local stores are completely out of D5100s. I need to make my decision between the D5100 and D7000 today and pull the trigger on one. Good luck with your decision!

Hi everyone,

This is a little off the topic, but I have a question concerning a flash unit. I noticed that the Nikon flashes are quite expensive compared to say, Sunpak etc. Is the price justified compared to the 3rd party flashes? Are they that much better? Should I go with the Nikon branded flash system, or is going with a 3rd party flash a comparable match?

Thank you so much everyone for replying.. its so hard I actually went to the london camera exchange today and he tried flogging me the a37 sony.. I think the d5100 is looking more appe

Not sure what it is like over there but it is getting harder and harder to find the D5100 with the great deal they are offering. I think at this price point many are snagging these up as Holiday gifts...my two local stores are completely out of D5100s. I need to make my decision between the D5100 and D7000 today and pull the trigger on one. Good luck with your decision!

hey peeps thank you so much for all passing on your knowledge I think the d5100 is looking more attractive, now for a lense? that s reasonable any links posted would be very much appreciated .. Oh am off to china to see the great wall, terraacotta army I want fab shots I wont do it again, kelly

Thank you so much everyone for replying.. its so hard I actually went to the london camera exchange today and he tried flogging me the a37 sony.. I think the d5100 is looking more appe

hey peeps thank you so much for all passing on your knowledge I think the d5100 is looking more attractive, now for a lense? that s reasonable any links posted would be very much appreciated .. Oh am off to china to see the great wall, terraacotta army I want fab shots I wont do it again, kelly

Check out amazon.com They have some good prices, d5100 w/18mm-55mm for $546.00 USD, you can also check out newegg.com They ship from US, Canada and China..

Check out amazon.com They have some good prices, d5100 w/18mm-55mm for $546.00 USD, you can also check out newegg.com They ship from US, Canada and China..

Thanks ziggy.. ill check it out

I would defo want to get a nice wide angle lens for GWC shots and landscapes....i would guess the 18-55mm kit lens would do a pretty good job.....

Not sure how close you can get to the Terracotta army, so you may require zoom too...

I would defo want to get a nice wide angle lens for GWC shots and landscapes....i would guess the 18-55mm kit lens would do a pretty good job.....

Not sure how close you can get to the Terracotta army, so you may require zoom too...

Thanks , I'll check them out

I've been having this same debate with myself currently.

I have my heart set on a D7000 but I hate not knowing when the replacement is going to hit. With my luck, the replacement will hit the week after I purchased one.

With hot financing deals right now at places like Best Buy, 18 months at 0% sounds perfect. Even more since I'm the type that prefers to keep my money as long as possible and the balance isn't that heavy. That being said, I could go either way.

My thought is that I could get used to the DSLR with the 5100 and play with glass. And at half the price of the D7k I would have the difference in cost to acquire a few lenses.

Now, I know I would have to pay attention to models due to the lack of onboard AF motor.

I guess I'm up in the air still due to the lens motor dilemma...

I have bought the D7000 about 5 months ago and its a very good DSLR. Have tried the d3100 and the d5100. Getting good glass is most important. Primes are so sharp and less expensive than zooms. I recommend the D7000 with the 35mm prime. It makes you move to get the shot and let's you develop a skill for working the shot.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is there an all round better crop sensor camera than the D7000,? I think not !! Take money out of the equation and the choice is simple :)

Most reactions

Back