Nikon D700 will not shut off

tomj52

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HELP ! - My Nikon D700 will not shut off unless I remove the battery. Anyone on here have any ideas as to what I can do?

Here is how it happened. I was shooting a High School Football game when the heavens opened up without warning and it poured. By the time I could get the D700 put away in a dry place we were both soaked.

I used it the next day and pictures are perfect but I have to remove the battery to turn it off. Sliding the button to off does nothing and in fact will allow me to take pictures even from the off position.

What are my options for remedying this issue? Any help please.

I'm inclined to agree with Keith; if it got wet enough to damage the switch, the water-sealing could very well keep moisture trapped in their and cause further damage. I'd get it shipped off pronto. While you're waiting for it to come back from service, order a couple of packages of these to keep in your bag.

The water is conducting the electrical DC current. Its a short circuit! take the battery out and leave it out till you can get it fixed. If it was a cheap phone or something like that I'd say let it dry out for a day or so. But not an expensive piece of equipment like a camera. Take it to the repairman!

I'm inclined to agree with Keith; if it got wet enough to damage the switch, the water-sealing could very well keep moisture trapped in their and cause further damage. I'd get it shipped off pronto. While you're waiting for it to come back from service, order a couple of packages of these to keep in your bag.
I have always kept a couple of plastic trash bags in my camera bag. If I leave my camera bag in the car when it looks like it might rain I just stick one in my pocket. They have saved my cameras, lenses, and flashes on more than one occasion.

BTW,

There must have been some warning of the impending downpour such as massive thunder heads building up, dark clouds moving in, .... pays to look up once in a while, and be prepared. Have a kitchen garbage bag, an old bread bag, a larger zip lock bag,....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back