Nikon D700

I've read opinions that should Nikon try to put more D3s type features in the D700 it might push the price-point too high, especially trying to go to 24 megapixels.
I seriously doubt the D700s will have 24MP given the D3s still has 12. Nikon, I believe, is going for the title of highest usable ISO and to continue that trend they'll likely stick with the 12MP sensor.

Also, going to 24MP+ makes it much less likely with current technology that they can hit 8fps as it takes much more processing power to handle that many images at that resolution. That's why the D3X and the 1Ds3 (and likely the 1Ds4) can't shoot faster than 5fps. I doubt they would go from 8fps (with MB-D10 grip) to a max of 5fps which would be a step backwards to many users who use the D700 and D3 for sports.

So, it's safe to say the D700s, assuming they release such a body, will have a 12MP sensor.

I didn't think 24MP was viable either. I think the next big change in sensors will be a new one from the type they are using now, but whether Nikon chooses to put that in the next D700/800 or D3/4 first will be the question.

I've read opinions that should Nikon try to put more D3s type features in the D700 it might push the price-point too high, especially trying to go to 24 megapixels.
I seriously doubt the D700s will have 24MP given the D3s still has 12. Nikon, I believe, is going for the title of highest usable ISO and to continue that trend they'll likely stick with the 12MP sensor.

Also, going to 24MP+ makes it much less likely with current technology that they can hit 8fps as it takes much more processing power to handle that many images at that resolution. That's why the D3X and the 1Ds3 (and likely the 1Ds4) can't shoot faster than 5fps. I doubt they would go from 8fps (with MB-D10 grip) to a max of 5fps which would be a step backwards to many users who use the D700 and D3 for sports.

So, it's safe to say the D700s, assuming they release such a body, will have a 12MP sensor.

Agreed, but Thom Hogan and others seem to think that Nikon will release a "D900" first... and a D700s later this year.

So... Nikon's next prosumer FX body isn't necessarily a "replacement" for the D700. We'll see, though.

Thom Hogan has a lot to say about the possible upcoming cameras and Nikon's strategy. He worries that Nikon needs to better define pro and prosumer. I think Nikon sees that pro, prosumer, and even consumer products can have mutual features without harming each other category.

I think there is, and has been, a great deal of "snobbery" in the defining of what is and isn't. Should I dismiss a product out of hand as a pro-worthy camera because it shares a feature with other "less worthy" products? No!

Among Thom Hogans remarks he said, "....a pro probably isn't that interested in a pop-up, on-camera flash...."

I no longer make a living doing anything, and the few photos and coffee-table books I've sold in the last few years certainly don't make me "a pro". For me a pop-up on camera flash is essential, and if the D700 did not have one, I would not buy it.

I often carry only my camera and don't tote around my other 30 pounds of gear unless the situation requires it. When I know I'll be shooting indoors I carry a flash unit. When "in the field" I always carry my Gitzo 1325, and landscapes seldom need a flash, pop-up or other.

Make the pop-up flash more robust, powerful, etc., and then call it a pro feature or not, but please......don't take away my pop-up!

Several years ago I was shooting San Francisco from Treasure Island with landscape pro photographer Randy Forshey. I took a "snapshot" of Randy, using my pop-up flash for fill, and for some time he used that photo in his bio on his website! I suppose I could have gone back to our car and dug out my flash, but we were happy with this:

4306384299_fc11d78191_o.jpg

Last edited:
My question is this: Must you wear "the hat" to be a pro photographer? It seems that the safari fedora is a must have accessory for the photography professional. I really need to get one... and a vest too. :D

Thom Hogan has a lot to say about the possible upcoming cameras and Nikon's strategy. He worries that Nikon needs to better define pro and prosumer. I think Nikon sees that pro, prosumer, and even consumer products can have mutual features without harming each other category.

I think there is, and has been, a great deal of "snobbery" in the defining of what is and isn't. Should I dismiss a product out of hand as a pro-worthy camera because it shares a feature with other "less worthy" products? No!

He explains it pretty well, IMO:

[...] At the FX end, things are a bit different. The two big players, Canon and Nikon, have kept their FX offerings well above their DX/APS offerings in price and performance. Only Sony has tinkered, so far unsuccessfully, at going downscale with FX. Given the DX/APS models they have in their lineups, I don't see any of them really wanting to go too far down with FX--it reduces margins, as Sony has found out the hard way. [...]

More:

Re: Thom Hogan latest article - controversial view on positioning of DX: Nikon D300 - D100 Forum: Digital Photography Review

I don't see much of the snobbery you're talking about... though it certainly exists... elsewhere.

Hogan has said repeatedly that Feb. 3rd, 2010 is a likely date for an announcement from Nikon, since they have frequently announced new products on Tuesdays--he actually keeps track of that sort of detail. If the D700 does get an updated model, it could easily be a high-resolution update, meaning the D3x-type of sensor, 24MP, in a D700x. Many people would like a high MP count sensor in a smaller, lighter, less-costly body than a D3-sized camera, so a D700x 24MP camera would make sense, and Nikon could leverage the sensor across more than one body, which would boost profit.

The D700 might receive an "s" update, which in Nikon marketing is a mid-life refresh; adding the additional High-ISO capabilities of the D3s sensor to the D700 to make a D700s would satisfy those craving extra High ISO capability.

The rumored D900 with an 18MP sensor is an intriguing possibility. There are a number of intriguing rumors floating around: FX size sensor in a D90-sized body is one. That might be a big seller. The whole pop-up flash as pro or non-pro determinant is a longstanding Asian prejudice, from what I have read. In Asia, the presence of a built-in flash is considered "novice-like", and is a holdover from decades ago--before a pop-up flash could command multiple wireless flashes, before D-TTL or E-TTL metering, before a lot of things that we have now, like digital capture. Old prejudices die hard among many people and many organizations.

Yeah, I can see Nikon releasing a 12MP D3s and a 24MP D700s.

Not.

:D

wait another 8-9days before you actually do anything, nikons going to make something new next month.

My question is this: Must you wear "the hat" to be a pro photographer? It seems that the safari fedora is a must have accessory for the photography professional. I really need to get one... and a vest too. :D

The vest is optional, but a Tilley T-5 is mandatory! :drool:
If you get one, remember they don't sit as a "regular" hat does, it has to be loose enough so the crown of the hat rests on your head, and you can get two fingers between your head and the hat.

Hogan has said repeatedly that Feb. 3rd, 2010 is a likely date for an announcement from Nikon, since they have frequently announced new products on Tuesdays--he actually keeps track of that sort of detail. If the D700 does get an updated model, it could easily be a high-resolution update, meaning the D3x-type of sensor, 24MP, in a D700x. Many people would like a high MP count sensor in a smaller, lighter, less-costly body than a D3-sized camera, so a D700x 24MP camera would make sense, and Nikon could leverage the sensor across more than one body, which would boost profit.

The D700 might receive an "s" update, which in Nikon marketing is a mid-life refresh; adding the additional High-ISO capabilities of the D3s sensor to the D700 to make a D700s would satisfy those craving extra High ISO capability.

The rumored D900 with an 18MP sensor is an intriguing possibility. There are a number of intriguing rumors floating around: FX size sensor in a D90-sized body is one. That might be a big seller. The whole pop-up flash as pro or non-pro determinant is a longstanding Asian prejudice, from what I have read. In Asia, the presence of a built-in flash is considered "novice-like", and is a holdover from decades ago--before a pop-up flash could command multiple wireless flashes, before D-TTL or E-TTL metering, before a lot of things that we have now, like digital capture. Old prejudices die hard among many people and many organizations.

Yeah, I can see Nikon releasing a 12MP D3s and a 24MP D700s.

Not.

:D

wait another 8-9days before you actually do anything, nikons going to make something new next month.

I'm not in a hurry-hurry..... That's a date I can live with. I could wait 'til next year for that matter!

Hopefully I'm going to get the 17-35/2.8 first, which I can use on the D300 anyway. I am waiting to see the announcements, the opinions, reports and reviews, and at that time I'll make the wrong decision.

If you get one, remember they don't sit as a "regular" hat does, it has to be loose enough so the crown of the hat rests on your head, and you can get two fingers between your head and the hat.
I have an old boonie hat from my military days I wear... I don't think I can do the Tilley just yet. Maybe after I'm a little more seasoned. I'll stick with the boonie and backwards ball caps for now. :D

I have an old boonie hat from my military days I wear... I don't think I can do the Tilley just yet. Maybe after I'm a little more seasoned. I'll stick with the boonie and backwards ball caps for now. :D

I didn't mention that the Tilley was actually designed to be a sailing hat. That's why it floats!

Ok, so Feb is over. Any more news on D700 upgrades or replacement? I am deciding if I should go ahead and get the D700 or wait for a new one before making the decision. I'd love to have video capability.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back