Nikon D7100

Rich.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to purchase a D7100 this week, it will be my first DSLR. Most of the photography I plan on doing is outdoors stuff such as photos of fishing/hunting trips, pictures of my dogs, and some macro stuff. I would also like to take some landscape photography.

Should I purchase the kit or just get the body only and then purchase a specific lense or two? What lenses would be best for what I'm looking to do?

I think for what you describe, you'd be well off with the 18-105 kit lens. Later you can decide if you need anything else.

How will the kit lens work in low light? Seems that most places I go have lighting problems.

It's f/3.5 - 5.6 so not very fast. If the D7100 is anything like the D7000 though the low light performance of the body will be pretty good so that lens should do for a while. You could treat yourself to a speedlight and investigate off camera flash too (I'm waiting for some flashy stuff myself right now, can't wait to try it).

I would do the kit lens and either the 35mm 1.8G or a 50mm 1.8 (either the ~$100 50mm 1.8D or the $200 50mm 1.8G). If you want something longer you can look at the 70-300VR (~$400 refurbished) for wildlife/dogs/sports. It's probably the best 'zoom' you can get before you get into the heavy-big-expensive f/2.8 lenses.

On the D7100 in 1.3x crop mode you'd have a 600mm f/5.6 for under $500 with the 70-300mm (@ 300mm + the x2 crop factor = 600mm)... Thats a great way to get into wildlife photography :D

What's your lens budget at the moment?

I'm past that point in life where I set a budget for buying something because I usually pay no attention to it anyway.

Sounds like the kit lens will be a good start and then I can add a lens or two once I get familiar with the camera, etc.

Well... If you have no budget, get the 24-70mm f/2.8... And then after that get the 70-200mm f/2.8... And you should be pretty set up.

Are there any companies who stock this camera that aren't based in NY? I'd prefer not to give NY the money from sales tax if at all possible.

Congrats! Don't settle for less than top shelf glass
icon10.gif

People love gear recommendations, except me. A decent zoom range is enough. Beyond that, you'll get more out of education than you will new equipment. Get the cheapest Nikon glass. Upgrade when your images demand it. If you want to get better stuff just to play and have fun, that's fine, but don't expect the gear to improve your photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back