Nikon D7200

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At this price, I am thinking of pulling the trigger. I was planning on saving up for the D500, but this at least gets me the easier to use controls that my D5600 is lacking.

Anybody ever have dealings with this online vendor?

Welcome to Abes of Maine

Last edited:
Changed my mind already, thinking the D7500 now.

Last edited:
At this Abe's of Maine, for $610 you can get a brand new D7200, $830 gets you a brand new D7500.

Well-known gray market vendor. Low prices on unofficially-imported gear.

That's what I was afraid of Derrel, thanks for confirming that.

abes of a maine is a scam site.

If you're worried about grey market, I'd look to buy something used. Every camera (and nearly all of my lenses, too) I've owned in the last 5 years I've purchased used, and I've had zero issues (besides the known issue with the D600 when I bought it). I've saved thousands of dollars this way.

keh.com still does a great job. I've also had good luck using the Nikon Buy/Sell group on Facebook, and good luck at the fred miranda buy and sell forum.

For me the D7500 has a couple major benefits over the D7200 (that I own).
  • Tilting rear screen. The D7200 has a fixed screen. There were many times when I was belly down on the floor or dirt, to get a low angle shot. Or had to shoot blind because I could not get down on my belly in the mud or had to shoot above my head. For me, this is the #1 practical change.
  • The D7500 fully supports the new AF-P lenses. The D7200 has limited support. Key to me is that I cannot turn off lens VR, which prevents me from using the AF-P lenses on a tripod. Well I could but the VR might get confused and try to stabilize an already stable platform. This is a close 2nd, for me.

Be advised that as Derrel has pointed out, these are grey market items and have no manufacture warranty. Not only will Nikon not warrant it, they will not even touch it if you offer to pay for the repair. You may however, never need warranty service and the extra money you save can be spent on glass. It is a crapshoot.

If one were to buy a grey market Nikon, can you still down load firmware updates to it?

Be advised that as Derrel has pointed out, these are grey market items and have no manufacture warranty. Not only will Nikon not warrant it, they will not even touch it if you offer to pay for the repair. You may however, never need warranty service and the extra money you save can be spent on glass. It is a crapshoot.

This is the reason that I will NOT buy a gray market or non-US Nikon, especially something expensive. I want the option to get it repaired, not be an expensive door stop.

After serious consideration of everyone's thoughts on Abe's of Maine and grey market opinions, I have decided not to purchase from this dealer. Further more, I have given up any idea's I had of purchasing any grey market camera's/lenses.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this subject. I will continue to feed my piggy bank for the "Real McCoy".

Most reactions

Back