Nikon D750 Purchase Fear

I want to change from DX to FX and have been dreaming, saving, and scheming to buy a D750. All the things I read or viewed at first were very positive. But now I am hearing about a string of recalls and shutter problems. Should I be wary of buying this camera?

I think it has been long enough that the cameras from the production line now have updated components! I would not worry about it. There is one for sale on this forum from a member for a very good price BTW!!!
OP if you want the D750 hop on the one in B/S. Fantastic price. I sold a mint one a few months ago for $1500 with Grip. The D750 just wasn't for me for basically the same reasons that Destin listed above. I picked up a far from mint D810 and really like it...

I bought mine when it first came out and shoot it along side with my D800 and now film cameras. For the purpose of what I do, I like it a lot. I shot in Scotland in pouring rain, to freezing cold in Big Bear mountain (California). It has always been good to me. I may end up getting another instead of the new D850.

I wouldn't buy one. However, there is no questions asked policy in place if you have any issues with the camera at all. I know someone who has had theirs in twice for shutter problem. He recently sold it, well traded it in actually.

The Angry Photographer is a strange cat, yet oddly compelling when he isn't just flat-out irrational (which happens from time to time).

Who? I just posted the highest hit rate when I googled. I based my opinion on what I have been reading for almost two years. My friends camera is way past the old posted serial number. This is a design failure from what I read, serial numbers have no signicance. It's a matter of time from how I read it. Actually, multiple failure. This camera has cost Nikon dearly and will continue. To suggest purchasing it based on it's history is not wise in my opinion. Sure, the OP may get lucky but he will not, based on the HUGE recall rate.

I wouldn't buy one. However, there is no questions asked policy in place if you have any issues with the camera at all. I know someone who has had theirs in twice for shutter problem. He recently sold it, well traded it in actually.

The Angry Photographer is a strange cat, yet oddly compelling when he isn't just flat-out irrational (which happens from time to time).

Who? I just posted the highest hit rate when I googled. I based my opinion on what I have been reading for almost two years. My friends camera is way past the old posted serial number. This is a design failure from what I read, serial numbers have no signicance. It's a matter of time from how I read it. Actually, multiple failure. This camera has cost Nikon dearly and will continue. To suggest purchasing it based on it's history is not wise in my opinion. Sure, the OP may get lucky but he will not, based on the HUGE recall rate.

Eh, I'd disagree with this. I know at least a dozen people personally who own one or more D750 bodies. 2 of them use them full time for wedding work, and they all swear by them. I think this is generally a case of people only coming online and posting about the camera when they have a bad experience; you generally don't hear about the majority who are happy with the camera and have no issues because they don't have a reason to come online and talk about it.

The vast majority of D750 owners are happy with the camera and have no issues with it. Those who do have issues seem to be getting them fixed for free under the recall. I guess I'm just not seeing what the problem is.. even if you're unlucky enough to get a bad one it'll get fixed for free.

Sounds a lot like Alien Bee flash units-- fix-ups when they break down, which is often.

In my view, the most important characteristic of a digital camera is reliability. It trumps sensor size by a wide margin. If what you are using is doing the job, let it keep doing the job.

Eh, I'd disagree with this. I know at least a dozen people personally who own one or more D750 bodies. 2 of them use them full time for wedding work, and they all swear by them. I think this is generally a case of people only coming online and posting about the camera when they have a bad experience; you generally don't hear about the majority who are happy with the camera and have no issues because they don't have a reason to come online and talk about it.

The vast majority of D750 owners are happy with the camera and have no issues with it. Those who do have issues seem to be getting them fixed for free under the recall. I guess I'm just not seeing what the problem is.. even if you're unlucky enough to get a bad one it'll get fixed for free.

I think someone changed their signature! There seems to be change in the equipment!!! What's up with that??

I think someone changed their signature! There seems to be change in the equipment!!! What's up with that??

A post with full explanation is coming in the near future once the UPS man arrives ;) until then it’s a secret

A post with full explanation is coming in the near future once the UPS man arrives ;) until then it’s a secret

Secret, No. Tease, Yes. :aiwebs_016: :allteeth:

Secret, No. Tease, Yes. :aiwebs_016: :allteeth:

I thought he meant that he sent me a D850 and wait for the UPS man to arrive?
rats ....

Wow, so a-swim, lol! Given some of the responses here, maybe I should ask first, is moving from DX to FX really a good idea, or should I just stick to my D7200? I like it, am comfortable with it for the most part, but really struggle with it in lower light situations, which I seem to get into quite often. Thought a move to full-frame would help with this. If I make the switch, the D750 is priced at the point I could do it. If it won't represent an advancement over the D7200 and its dependability perhaps is iffy, should I just stick with what I have. Can't possibly afford a D850 or higher. I really want to go full frame, but... *sigh*

Wow, so a-swim, lol! Given some of the responses here, maybe I should ask first, is moving from DX to FX really a good idea, or should I just stick to my D7200? I like it, am comfortable with it for the most part, but really struggle with it in lower light situations, which I seem to get into quite often. Thought a move to full-frame would help with this. If I make the switch, the D750 is priced at the point I could do it. If it won't represent an advancement over the D7200 and its dependability perhaps is iffy, should I just stick with what I have. Can't possibly afford a D850 or higher. I really want to go full frame, but... *sigh*

Of the models currently available in DSLR format from Nikon. The D750 would be the best body for low light. The Nikon DF is rated higher for ISO but has the smaller 16mp full frame sensor. The D7200 is a very good body though. What lenses do you have? It may be a better move to just update your lenses. The D750 sensor is better in several ways. But it's not a huge difference in what you have in your D7200. ISO would be better but not a huge difference.

When I had my D7000 DX and D600 FX there was a good 2 stop difference in exposures. Stuff that really made a difference in low light/waning light situations in regards to sports that a higher shutter speed is required. I recall making the same exposure settings inside the house testing both of their settings and then similar exposures. Quite interesting to see the differences.

Also, several months ago before I bought my D500 (again) I did ISO tests of D7200, D500, D610, D810, and D5500 cameras. I think most of those are in my Flickr somewhere.

Of the models currently available in DSLR format from Nikon. The D750 would be the best body for low light. The Nikon DF is rated higher for ISO but has the smaller 16mp full frame sensor. The D7200 is a very good body though. What lenses do you have? It may be a better move to just update your lenses. The D750 sensor is better in several ways. But it's not a huge difference in what you have in your D7200. ISO would be better but not a huge difference.
I have an 18-140 f3.5-5.6 zoom (kit) and a 35mm f1.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back