Nikon D80 or D90

mikerev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm looking gor a DSLR. I've been shooting on a borrowed D50 for some time now, and i think i want to stick with nikon. Am i better off going for the D80 and spending the savings on lenses, or getting the D90 and having less money for lenses?

D80- 600 euros
D90- 999 euros

Both are body only

Any help/advice would be appreciated

I think most people here are going to tell you get the D80 and spend more money on the lenses. I have the d80 and i'm very happy with it (though to be honest i dont have any experience with any other dSLR)

They will also tell you that cross-posting isn't considered appropriate.

Eh, yeah, my bad. Sorry. I can't figure out how to delete this one. I posted it here by accident, then couldn't find it in the forum i meant to post it in, so i did it again.. Sorry :(

I would disagree.

D90 is far superior in its innate matrixing and WB abilities; the D80 has become a bit of a relic in comparison.

Updates to menu's and the sensor are also a plus in favor of the D90.

I realize Euros 400 is a huge difference and potentially means at least 2 non-pro lenses or 1 pro lens, BUT, you'll end up wanting to upgrade as soon as you REALLY get into shooting.

You should try both of them out to get a feel for the technology differences. I was astonished with the D300 after using my D40x for awhile, the sensor and matrixing are some much more robust; why do I throw my D40x in the mix? The same sensor as the D80. . . .just food for thought. . .(especially since the D90 is apparently more "advanced" than the D300 in its tech abilities)

If you can swing it, get the D90.

I would disagree.

D90 is far superior in its innate matrixing and WB abilities; the D80 has become a bit of a relic in comparison.

Updates to menu's and the sensor are also a plus in favor of the D90.

I realize Euros 400 is a huge difference and potentially means at least 2 non-pro lenses or 1 pro lens, BUT, you'll end up wanting to upgrade as soon as you REALLY get into shooting.

You should try both of them out to get a feel for the technology differences. I was astonished with the D300 after using my D40x for awhile, the sensor and matrixing are some much more robust; why do I throw my D40x in the mix? The same sensor as the D80. . . .just food for thought. . .(especially since the D90 is apparently more "advanced" than the D300 in its tech abilities)

Agree totally, I'm replacing my D80 with a D90. I considered going with the 300, but I'd rather spend the $500 toward a lens. The only thing the 300 has over the 90 is the weather sealing, and the focus points it seems.

Twas me, I'd go with the D90 and worry about the extra lenses later.

Really depends how serious you are about photography. If it's a hobby, then just stick with the D80 and get some extra lenses, you'll have to get some experience before you can really tell the difference between the top tier cameras anyway. If you're a serious photographer, you wouldn't be asking such a vague question on the forum :D

I'd say plan your budget so that you can spend on lenses at a minimum, as much as you plan to spend on the body. Until you can reach that point there's no sense in going for the more expensive body.

The D80 is a prefectly good body, sure the D90 has its advantages, but, at least in my mind, unless you already own some very good lenses, you'll get a better return for your money if you spend the extra 300 on lenses than on the better body.

Here's what glass I would make sure I have before upgrading a body:
Nikkor 35mm f/2.0
Nikkor 18-55/70/135/200mm VR zoom lens
Superwide angle zoom:
- Nikon 12-24mm f/4, or
- Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6

If you're into tele angles (I am not..) also
- Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR

It's a matter of taste, but as I said... I own a D70 and don't plan to upgrade it before I spend $1~2K on lenses that I really want.

Of course many good lenses are worthless unless you're set up to have them ready when you need them (e.g. if you are travelling a lot, and cant or don't want to carry all that gear with you). If this is the case, than getting just one good all-around lens and the more expensive body would make more sense.

As a friend advised me, if you can afford the better body, then go for it!

If you're on a budget, then stick to your budget and no more.

Most reactions

Back