Nikon D850 Sensor? who makes it?

donny1963

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok many people kept insisting to me that the Nikon D850 Sensor has to be a Sony Sensor..
And that is not the case, that is BS..
The Nikon D850 Sensor is actually a TowerJazz (TowerJazz - CMOS Image Sensor (CIS)) Sensor, Which is owned by panasonic.

Truth is Years ago Nikon was using Panasonic sensor back in the 3D the 3Ds and the D4.
then they went to Sony Sensor, and i guess they are going back to their roots, (Panasonic) under towerjazz, coming full circle in sensor use.
And here is an interesting factor, TowerJazz is an israeli company, And here is another interesting factor the reason that The israeli company

wants to own those sensor manufacturing companies is the sensors in these camera's are highly adaptable to military weapons, These sensors are used in lots of
Military weapons today.. They are used in heat seeking and , surface to air and air to air missiles.. Yeah these sensor have enormous military application..
Any way to get back to the original topic, The truth about the Nikon D850 sensor is that it is a
TowerJazz Sensor which is really a Panasonic Sensor..

Another interesting fact is the reason why Nikon has not released this year the mirrorless camera is,
because they have a sensor supply issue, this is the reason why the D850 is in large demand and they are struggling to meet these demands..
how ever Nikon's plan is to beef up the supply so by 2019 so they can release the mirrorless camera.

Oh by the way for those who want to argue with me that TowerJazz is or is not an israeli company

Tower Semiconductor - Wikipedia

You can read that under the overview area..

Last edited:
As a LindyHopper I can get behind a brand called TowerJazz.
My D850 should arrive next week. Yay

Interesting. Nice knowing my sensor is manufactured by a company making missle stuff. I also love the Israeli made personna red double edged platinum safety razor blades, nearly as sharp as the japanese feather blades but without the need for are regular transfusion from blood loss. And tens cents a blade in quantity. Chuasam, my rolling studio cart with detachable top tray for lap top/ cart/hand truck is a "rocknroller", a standard with musicians hauling speakers and other gear. I am still constantly reeling from the images the 850 captures. Plenty of dynamic range, plenty of high iso and low native iso for my outdoor work. Here's a photo with it in the lower L hand corner ready for a tethered shoot.
Studio gear.jpg
shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back