Solid camera for beginners

Fabienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey friends

I‘m totally new here and also new in the camera business;) For quite a while I‘m thinking about getting a bit further into photography than I used to do until know with my normal tourist-digital-camera. So I decided to get a good camera, maybe an SLR. I did a little research and soon realised that I’m completely lost, since there is tons of stuff to consider. I also ran over system-cameras (not sure if this is the right english word...). I have a budget arround 500-700$. The camera should be solid without extensions since I don’t how far I will take photography. If any of you have an advice for me I would really appreciate it :)

A few thoughts to help out

1) You sound like English isn't your first language so I have to ask what country you're in. Most here will assume you're in the USA, but if you're not it helps for suggestions to know as it might affect what can be bought with your budget.

2) What do you want to do with your camera, an idea of what kind of situations and subjects you want to work with would be of help. Sometimes an SLR isn't the best choice or the most suitable; so its good to get an idea of what you want to do with photography.

I would go for a Nikon D3400 well in your budget, solid out of the box, lots and lots of lens options both on the new, used, and even vintage markets (Nikons are largely backwards compatible with lenses dating back to their early film SLR's) .

Unfortunately Nikon does not sell their lower end bodies without the kit lens. On that camera I really like the 35mm 1.8 prime over the kit lens in many cases, however the kit lens is solid in its own right.

If you are willing to buy second hand the skys the limit and it will vary heavily on whats available locally to you. Craigslist, eBay and other various used sites are your friend.

Hey friends

I‘m totally new here and also new in the camera business;) For quite a while I‘m thinking about getting a bit further into photography than I used to do until know with my normal tourist-digital-camera. So I decided to get a good camera, maybe an SLR. I did a little research and soon realised that I’m completely lost, since there is tons of stuff to consider. I also ran over system-cameras (not sure if this is the right english word...). I have a budget arround 500-700$. The camera should be solid without extensions since I don’t how far I will take photography. If any of you have an advice for me I would really appreciate it :)

I agree with the other posters, an entry level Canon DSLR or mirrorless will go far
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Fabienne, rather than perhaps suggest a camera and lens combo, of which there are a great many to choose from; maybe consider something a few years old, that scores highly on the big camera review sites. Any of the major manufacturers' mid-range cameras that use interchangeable lenses could suit your needs.

Your thought process is good.
If you think you will go further, you would box yourself in with some cameras.

I would look at some of the starter kits.
BUT you have to be selective. I do NOT like the 2nd lenses in many of the kits, as the long lens does not have stabilization, which I think is almost essential on a long lens. The cheaper non stabilized lens is put into the kit so that the kit meets a marketing price point.
I would buy a kit with the basic lens (18-55 stabilized), then get a STABILIZED longer lens later.

Digital SLRs (dSLR) from Nikon and Canon are fine. I am partial to and know Nikon, but Canon makes good stuff as well.
  • Nikon D3400 + 18-55
  • Nikon D5600 + 18-55
Mirrorless is also good, but tend to be slightly more expensive than the starter dSLRs.
I am only familiar with the Micro 4/3 Olympus system. There are several other systems out there.
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10-mark2 + 14-42 EZ (the mark2 is currently discounted because the mark3 has been released)
If you are open to refurbished gear, you can save money. The refurbish warranty is usually significantly shorter (90 days) than a new gear (1+ years), but you still have manufacturer warranty while you are checking out the gear.
Used normally has NO warranty, unless you buy from selected shops which do their own warranty.

I would go for a Nikon D3400 well in your budget, solid out of the box, lots and lots of lens options both on the new, used, and even vintage markets (Nikons are largely backwards compatible with lenses dating back to their early film SLR's) .

Unfortunately Nikon does not sell their lower end bodies without the kit lens. On that camera I really like the 35mm 1.8 prime over the kit lens in many cases, however the kit lens is solid in its own right.

If you are willing to buy second hand the skys the limit and it will vary heavily on whats available locally to you. Craigslist, eBay and other various used sites are your friend.

My suggestion as well, Nikon D3300 OR D3400, with the 18-55 zoom. Very affordable, and high-quality imaging sensor in the camera. The newer AF-P VR lenses, especially the AF-P with the VR models (there are AF-P 18-55 and 70-300 models without the VR feature) have extremely high performance according to Nikon experts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back