Nikon D90 Advice

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am a beginner with Digital SLR, but have owned a film SLR for a few years now. I really love the nikon d90 and am about to buy it. However, I have a few questions that hopefully some of you have advice for. I am looking for any and all advice!

What type of card should I get if I want to hold over 600 pics?
Where can I find a good bag, one thats just a shell and one that holds multiple lenses?
If I have a few hundered bucks left over what should I spend it on? A better flash or lens, I really dont know what to get that would help me improve the camera even more?!

I want to be able to take a wide range of pics from sports to landscapes. So the more flexible the better! THANKS for any advice! :)

Welcome to TPF.

I get 197 exposures on a 4GB card (12MPX) shooting RAW or ...... had to check... 552 exposures set at JPEG Fine. I use mostly 4GB cards but have a couple of 2GB. I do not want anything larger for myself.

Bags are a personal choice, but I have two Lowepros and find they are good and durable. Tamarac is another brand that I know to consider.

A better flash would be anything other than the in-built. I would not go less than a SB-600 at ~$185USD.

Get use to the camera and figure out what you're missing before going out to spend money on a lens. Get the best quality you can afford or save up to get a better one rather than "settleing".

Congrats and good luck. Always glad to have another Nikon shooter in the house.

I have the D90 and with a Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s Edition 8GB card, I get 1100 shots shooting JPEG FINE LARGE

I pair my D90 with 2x 4GBs. I also don't want anything larger incase I loose/break a card. I thought about 2GB, but it's such a hassle o.o.

You might want to think about extra battery, but it's not that important imo. I got it, dont regret it, but I coulda saved that $70 towards a flash. I'm wishing I had a flash right now.

Hey guys,

I have a question about the D90 but I didn't want to start a new thread. Hope you don't mind ;) I currently own a Canon 300D (digital rebel, 2003 I guess). I haven't used this camera often since I preferred compact cameras like cyber-shot. Last week I got really inspired by photography and the only camera I'm using right now is the 300D. I've read a lot of articles and tutorials about DSLRs and found DSLRs WAY better than usual compact cameras. Now let's get to the point. Apart from features, I also value quality. 300D is just 6mpx, has a tiny screen and is quite slow (when processing RAW, I have to wait about 15 sec for the preview to load + importing takes ages). I also have a feeling that the noise level is too high. Canon didn't make such a good impression on me so I'd like to try something different. I chose Nikon. D60 is lighter, smaller and feels comfortable in hands. D90 is much heavier, but along comes the quality. I'd like to know your opinions on the Nikon D90 vs. Canon 300D. Is this a vast step forward? :)

Thanks in advance, Paul

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have a question about the D90 but I didn't want to start a new thread. Hope you don't mind ;) I currently own a Canon 300D (digital rebel, 2003 I guess). I haven't used this camera often since I preferred compact cameras like cyber-shot. Last week I got really inspired by photography and the only camera I'm using right now is the 300D. I've read a lot of articles and tutorials about DSLRs and found DSLRs WAY better than usual compact cameras. Now let's get to the point. Apart from features, I also value quality. 300D is just 6mpx, has a tiny screen and is quite slow (when processing RAW, I have to wait about 15 sec for the preview to load + importing takes ages). I also have a feeling that the noise level is too high. Canon didn't make such a good impression on me so I'd like to try something different. I chose Nikon. D60 is lighter, smaller and feels comfortable in hands. D90 is much heavier, but along comes the quality. I'd like to know your opinions on the Nikon D90 vs. Canon 300D. Is this a vast step forward? :)

Thanks in advance, Paul

Put simply, yes.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

there is no comparison, the D90 is > the 300D

The SanDisk Extreme III 30mb/s Edition Cards.

I use an 8gb card, but a lot of people use 4 x 2.

It will keep up with the 4.5 FPS and you can keep shooting until the card fills, not the buffer! [atleast in JPEG LARGE FINE]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back