Nikon is dying?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Jim C., Nov 23, 2019.

1. Jim C.

Jim C. TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have read several articles in financial news pieces that Nikon is dying. How can this possibly be true. Nikon has been around a long time and is recognized as a leader in photography. The quality is excellent and the camera and lens choices are amazing. The articles seem to be based on the mirrorless cameras not selling as predicted and the quality of lens in cell phones.
    I witnessed the fall of Minolta and as I shot Minolta it bothered me. I shot Minolta film cameras and even purchased a Minolta/Konica digital. (somewhat disappointing).
    I think all photography will adjust to the fact that cell phones are the point and shoot cameras of the present and future and a lot of entry level cameras are going away. I think or hope that the serious photographer will continue to use a quality camera. But for carry around picture taking I use my cell phone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As with anything, there is a time for all things.

Nikon will eventually disappear. When? Who knows.

The market analysis is something I don't pay much attention to because they are almost always wrong.

Minolta was in pretty bad shape in the mid 2000's after two lawsuits and the slow upstart with digital. Plus the 5 and 7D models were not what many wanted and lacked substantial umph. The only real selling point was an IBIS.

Consider that when the 7D came out it was only a 6Mp sensor and Nikon already had a 14 in the FF category.
    Additionally Minolta had to combine with a competitor (Konica) in order to survive. Minolta not only made cameras, they also made imaging equipment and enterprise printers.

Right now, unless there is a meteor strike on Tokyo, I don't see it happening.

3. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have read several articles in financial news pieces that Nikon is dying.

Where, exactly?

• Like Like x 1
  4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's at least one rumor going around that started with someone speculating on a message board. Nothing to it. Then these things go viral...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Considering Nikon is beating canon sensor wise at present I'd have thought Nikon was in a very good spot right now.

That said ALL the camera companies are feeling some pinch as whilst the camera market is still very profitable the insane growth we saw as digital took over is easing off. That idealistic "oh more profits every year" economist talk never lasts forever. What you'll see is companies start to rein in profits and such because the market will contract. Sometimes new tricks like mirrorless can add some extra life; however with mobile phones eating up the casual end of the market and with pro end gear being longer term investments for many customers (many people skip a generation in updating their DSLR and for lenses the top end ones might be used until they break or are broken rather than replaced when a new edition is released).

So you'll see loads of "doom and gloom" articles which, for those looking for shares with a high return on investment, are probably accurate to read. However there's still a lot of life left in the companies. Heck I'd personally rather like it if the company level stock market vanished as I feel its to blame for a lot of panic choices companies make and for a shift in their views from customer orientated to shareholder orientated but that's possibly for another chat.

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I seen the finacial report and its not good. The bulk of their sales are from consumer level cameras which has declined steadily because of smart phones. Their professional level cameras are not a large portion but has remained somewhat steady. People just don't want to lug around camera gear in general IMO. They are late into the mirrorless game and to compound poor sales, they can't drive some of the excellent af-d lenses. My guess is they will buy back some stock, revamp the lineup of mirrorless, and focus on other segments which priduce profit. Doubt they will go away but change their approach.

Nikon | Investor Relations | Financial Results and Presentation Materials

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I thought Canon camera had year-over-year profits down 20% from last year. Is Canon camera dying?

8. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both Nikon and Canon although making very good cameras in the past are really falling behind the times at the moment.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I can see them losing the casual consumer war somewhat and reducing their hold their. The mobile phone camera is going to replace most small compacts if it hasn't already meanwhile mirrorless and "bridge" type cameras might well get carved up between them and other giants like Sony. There's far more competition there, but it also moves faster and fads come and go very quickly. DSLR wise I think both will remain top of the market for a long while yet - whilst they are slower products to sell the customerbase is typically more brand loyal once invested into a brand. Furthermore both Canon and Nikon have very extensive own brand ranges of lenses as well as extensive 3rd party support.

Others might try and push in, but it will take longer for the brand loyalty to kick and for them to get complete lens ranges; esp of the bigger and more expensive kit.

10. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The whole market for electronics is nuts.

It just takes a restructure of what is actually made.

Look at Nikon, the folks in charge of production still think that cell phones only have 3 megapixel cameras in them. In the Coolpix compact line of 17 cameras, 9 of them are directly competing with cell phone cameras, and most of them LOSE against the last 3 generations of Samsung and Iphone cameras. And these 9 are also in direct competition with their action camera lineup.

The other Coolpix cameras are only besting cellphones in terms of lens diameter and optical zoom. Everything else is a draw for the consumer standpoint.

What they need to do is the following.

Focus on lowering costs for the new z line, the FX line, and reorganize the DX lineup.

Focus on the D500. Its got a lot going for it.

Even out the cameras in the enthusiast, advanced entry, and entry level lines. Its just really really nuts when the bare bottom 3500/3400 share the same spot in the universe as the Coolpix line, but have the addition of replaceable lenses.

56/55/5300 . Even the technology out among them and start lowering the prices on the older ones. Shouldn't have the latest top of the line camera being cheaper MSRP then the 2 generation old one. Implied value is major with expensive purchases.

75/7200. Same thing on even out technology between them, reduce prices on the old one. Or turn the old one into the "high end" of the next lower category.

If they focused on evening out the image sensor power in ALL of their cameras it would be nice. The bottom end 3500 shouldn't have a 24 megapixel sensor while the top of the line cameras costing 2-3 times as much only have a 20 megapixel sensor.

Yes software and processing aside, that does create an issue with consumers. Newer generations should be superior. Its why cell phone cameras have knocked the crap out of regular DSLRs. Hey, anyone remember that the first 10 years of digital cameras sucked image wise to 1990s point and shoot 35mm cameras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nwcid

Nwcid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have time for videos, the first 20 minutes of this is a good one to watch. It deals with this topic, however it was more focused on Olympus. Agree or disagree, that is fine, but is another perspective that this this topic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  12. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I bought my first digital camera for the express purpose of being able to share images by e-mail with family in other countries. Today you are much better off using your phone to take pictures for most social sharing of images.

I bet if I go ask my friends that jumped into a DSLR setup five or ten years ago I would find that 50% of them have their camera sitting on a shelf and the other 50% bought some type of mirrorless - but 100% are taking more pictures with their phone than with their camera.

No surprise to see camera companies with a drop in sales.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1