Nikon Kit

but if I want to take long shot pictures of sport events or something like that won't I need a 55-300 lens?
the kit with 18-55 and 55-300 is only 60€ more expensive than the kit with 18-105. and eventually cover 3x the distance..

but if I want to take long shot pictures of sport events or something like that won't I need a 55-300 lens?
the kit with 18-55 and 55-300 is only 60€ more expensive than the kit with 18-105. and eventually cover 3x the distance..

I was only responding to you statement:

The 18-105 is not a good lens since it's not as sharp as the 18-55

Only you can know what you need.

I was only responding to you statement:

Only you can know what you need.

But for an extra 60€ I think I'll have a more complete set with the 18-55 and the 55-300. And since 90% of the time I'll probably use the 18-55 the lens' weight might be an advantage.. I'll have a lot more weight on my back but not on my hand :)

It's good to make a solid educated purchase...so having said that, after reading all of this...I really really think you are over-thinking things. You don't even know how you'll respond to the camera yet...how much you'll use it...don't even know how to shoot. I don't say that with any judgement or notions..just stating the facts.

My advice still...take a step back..breathe...don't get caught up in the technical side. Buy the camera, with included lens, and learn. You will quickly know what you'll need to add to your arsenal, if anything is needed at all. You can always find good deals on used lenses online later on, which will save you money in the long run. ;-) so save your money now and worry about additional lenses later.

...or go buy a few primes..that later you might realize you won't use and after they sit in your bag a while you can sell them to me for a great discounted deal. :) yay me. lol

I'll probably use the prime since I take a lot of pictures indoors with low light, mostly portrait pictures of my kids.
My doubt is the "long range" lens... don't know if it's worth buying but since I take pictures of my kids playing sports and school show (probably over 20m from stage)..
But I don't intend to make poster pictures so by shooting a 16Mpx photo with a 18-55 lens with good sharp I can probably get a nice closeup picture :).. don't know...
But I understand your advice: use the basic kit and if I fell there's something "missing" get the proper lens for the job... and the lens of the package isn't that expensive.. probably more 30€ or something without the 2 lens kit...

thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
It's good to make a solid educated purchase...so having said that, after reading all of this...I really really think you are over-thinking things. You don't even know how you'll respond to the camera yet...how much you'll use it...don't even know how to shoot. I don't say that with any judgement or notions..just stating the facts.

My advice still...take a step back..breathe...don't get caught up in the technical side. Buy the camera, with included lens, and learn. You will quickly know what you'll need to add to your arsenal, if anything is needed at all. You can always find good deals on used lenses online later on, which will save you money in the long run. ;-) so save your money now and worry about additional lenses later.

What do you think is worth buying for my porpoise (take portrait pictures, indoor,...)? The prime or the 55-200 / 55-300?
Probably the 18-55 will do the job for most situations I'd use the prime, so this is my dilemma...

Thanks,
Pedro

One thing about any zoom that only goes out to 55mm: You may find you're switching to the 55-300 just to get shots between 55-85mm. No way to know if your shooting style will make this a pain in the a$$ or not. An 18-70, 16-85, or 18-105 paired with the 55-300 may cut down on lens changes while giving you a slighty larger apeture at 55mm (f/5.0 vs. f/5.6 for the 18-105 compared to the 18-55).

but the 18-105 with the 55-300 is as expensive as the 18-55, prime 35 and the 55-300... so... for the price the pack with the prime is probably better... doknow

Nothing says you have to get all the lenses at the same time.

Start with the 18-105 and maybe the 35mm and get a longer lens later. I'd save for the 70-300 its better than the 55-300.

pimane - sounds like you need to do some testing...go shoot for a month with a zoom P&S or whatever zoom camera you have...after shooting watch your exif data in your computer with a photo viewer, then you can know exactly what focal lengths you use more often then others...by that i think you could make a better decision about what lens to buy.

Has any one had any experience with Tamron 18-270 VC or 28-300 VC? Are they good lens? Ask this cause I can get them for about 350€ each, which seams a bargain.
Thanks,
Pedro

Kinda like watching a cat chase a laser pen....

pimane - sounds like you need to do some testing...go shoot for a month with a zoom P&S or whatever zoom camera you have...after shooting watch your exif data in your computer with a photo viewer, then you can know exactly what focal lengths you use more often then others...by that i think you could make a better decision about what lens to buy.

My IXUS 970IS has a 6.6-33mm lens and I never use the digital zoom.
What's the equivalent to that lens on a DSLR?
Just asked about the tamron lens since they seem to be very good lenses (according to reviews) and at almost half the price.
There are 2 kits both the same price:
1. D5100 + 55-108 VR + pouch + 8GB SDHC card
2. D5100 + 18-55G II DX + 55-200G DX ED VR + tripod + backpack + 4G SDHC card
I'll probably get the 18-105mm (not bad macro and reasonable zoom) since the 18-55 has no VR.
If latter I see that I need more zoom I'll complement with a 55-300mm (the 70-300mm is very expensive and big...).

Just one more thing (a bit off the topic): a friend of mine has a change of getting a D7000 body for 850€ (used) with 10.000 pictures taken. Is that a good buy or, since the D7000 is almost 2 years on the market and nikon will be launching the replacement soon, it's better to wait a while for the replacement and buy the new one or the D7000 being sold at a lower price? (if the replacement will come out before September...).

Thanks,
Pedro

Last edited:
I have the d5100 with the 18-55 and 55-200 and for now I'm satisfied. The 18-55 is OK as long as you stay at f/8-f/11. It gets pretty soft wide open and at f/16-22. My 55-200 is really pretty descent. At f/8-11 it is good and is OK at f/4.5-6.3.... If I were starting out now, I think I would spend the extra bucks and get the Nikkor 16-85 f3.5-5.6........ I spoke with a guy working for Lifetouch school pictures not too long ago. He was setup in the hall way outside my band room taking prom pics. He does this day in day out year round. He was using a D300 with the aforementioned nikkor 16-85. He had nothing but good things to say about this lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back