Nikon lens Diffrences

rrh_hirst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What would be the pros and cons about getting the Nikon 50mm f1.8D Nikkor AF Lens opposed to the Nikon 50mm f1.8G AF-S Nikkor Lens?

First off, the 1.8D will work on film cameras, the 1.8G will not. The 1.8G will work on cameras without a built in motor, the 1.8D will not. So if you have a lower end camera, get the G, if you have a higher end (D70/D80/D90/D7000/D200/D300/D700/D2/D3) either will work fine but only the D will work on older film cameras. Both are sharp and fast, the D seems better built than the G. Virtually all my lenses are D series.

Allan

The new g version has significantly better image quality--it's sharp and contrasty wide open, whereas the older af-d needs to be stopped down to f2.8 to achieve the same quality the g has at f1.8. Even the expensive 1.4g can't compete with the 1.8g below f2.8.This is due to the 1.4g and 1,8 af-d being based on an ancient lens design whereas the 1.8g is newly designed with an aspherical element.As for working on film cameras the g will work on all autofocus nikon film cameras with a few very rare exceptions.

The new g version has significantly better image quality--it's sharp and contrasty wide open, whereas the older af-d needs to be stopped down to f2.8 to achieve the same quality the g has at f1.8. Even the expensive 1.4g can't compete with the 1.8g below f2.8.This is due to the 1.4g and 1,8 af-d being based on an ancient lens design whereas the 1.8g is newly designed with an aspherical element.As for working on film cameras the g will work on all autofocus nikon film cameras with a few very rare exceptions.

That's funny, what I read is a little different....

Ken Rockwell said:
This new 50/1.8 G has a moderate amount of barrel distortion, while all the other the 50mm f/1.8 lenses, especially the 50/1.8 AF-D which sells today for half the price, has none.

The earlier Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D costs about half as much, has none of the distortion, focuses just as close and fast, is just as super-sharp at normal
apertures, stops down to f/22 instead of being limited to f/16, and weighs much less. Although the older 50/1.8 isn't quite as sharp in the corners at f/1.8
(who cares), it is just as sharp in the center

On AF cameras older than about 1990 and on manual-focus 35mm cameras, this G lens won't work at all.

Rare exceptions? I guess I need to sell my N90s because it is so rare, I can retire now!

Allan

Ken Rockwell focuses on linear distortion to an absurd degree. First off, if distortion is "simple", which is normally will be on ANY normal or telephoto lens design, and not complex, like moustache disortion, it is EASILY eliminated in software. I am not sure why Ken focuses on distortion so,so,so much--most people will not see distortion, unless they shoot a lot of architectural studies or brick walls or test charts, so to me it seems like Ken likes to whine about a non-issue all the time. What most people WILL HOWEVER be able to spot is crappy sharpness or low contrast or veiling softness when a 50mm lens is shot wide-open to perhaps closed down one stop from maximum aperture. I'm not a big fan of using a 50mm lens at f/1.4 or f/1.8 or even f/2 or f/2.8, but if the 50mm 1.8 AF-S G is really good optically at the wide apertures, due to its modern, aspherical element design, then it seems like it would be a pretty good buy for the person who wants a 50mm lens that is good at wide-open or nearly wide-open.

WHich one, 50mm 1.8 AF-D or 50mm 1.8 AF-AS G series depends first on whether your camera has an in-body AF motor or not...if your camera has an in-body motor, you can buy ANY 50mm Nikkor, and will probably be happy. If you have a lower-end model without an in-body AF motor, I'd definitely say to stick with the AF-S series Nikkor lenses.

First off, the 1.8D will work on film cameras, the 1.8G will not.

One should qualify "film" cameras. There are plenty of Nikon "film" cameras which do not use the aperture ring. The 1.8D will work on camera bodies which require an aperture indexing system. The F4 had digital control of the lens aperture and was released in 1988 ;)

Ken Rockwell focuses on linear distortion to an absurd degree. First off, if distortion is "simple", which is normally will be on ANY normal or telephoto lens design, and not complex, like moustache disortion, it is EASILY eliminated in software. I am not sure why Ken focuses on distortion so,so,so much--most people will not see distortion, unless they shoot a lot of architectural studies or brick walls or test charts, so to me it seems like Ken likes to whine about a non-issue all the time. What most people WILL HOWEVER be able to spot is crappy sharpness or low contrast or veiling softness when a 50mm lens is shot wide-open to perhaps closed down one stop from maximum aperture. I'm not a big fan of using a 50mm lens at f/1.4 or f/1.8 or even f/2 or f/2.8, but if the 50mm 1.8 AF-S G is really good optically at the wide apertures, due to its modern, aspherical element design, then it seems like it would be a pretty good buy for the person who wants a 50mm lens that is good at wide-open or nearly wide-open.

I have absolutely no doubt that the new design made improvements in the 1.8g, however that was at an expense. What I take issue at is when people make the generalization that the 1.8g is just "better". It is better at corner sharpness wide open (but then, I don't use a loupe to check my sharpness in the corners), but it is worse at distortion, it is worse at wieght, it is worse at price, and it is worse in compatibility with some cameras and better at compatibility with others. Just like everything else in life, it is a trade off.

WHich one, 50mm 1.8 AF-D or 50mm 1.8 AF-AS G series depends first on whether your camera has an in-body AF motor or not...if your camera has an in-body motor, you can buy ANY 50mm Nikkor, and will probably be happy. If you have a lower-end model without an in-body AF motor, I'd definitely say to stick with the AF-S series Nikkor lenses.

I completely agree.

Garbz said:
One should qualify "film" cameras. There are plenty of Nikon "film" cameras which do not use the aperture ring. The 1.8D will work on camera bodies which require an aperture indexing system. The F4 had digital control of the lens aperture and was released in 1988 ;-)

True enough, and one should qualify "works" even further. While some film cameras will "work" in certain modes, they will not work in all modes with a lens that has no aperture ring. The point is, the D series will work with all Nikon film cameras back to the original F I believe (if you add a prong for metering) or 100% functionality back to the F2 of 1977, the G series will not. Sure, the F4 and F5 are fine with Gs, but the F, F2, F3, FM, FE, FA, FE2, FM2, FM3a, FG, EM, N2020, N6006, N8008, N90s, and many more will not work correctly. Now that may not matter at all to the OP, but I think it is important for the OP to be aware in case they do own or are planning on using one of these film bodies.

Allan

The 1.8G will work on cameras without a built in motor, the 1.8D will not.
Allan
That statement is a gross over-simplification.

The 1.8D will work just fine on cameras that don't have a built-in auto focus motor, but you would have to manually turn the focus ring on the lens until the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder lights up indicating focus has been achieved.

KmH said:
That statement is a gross over-simplification.

The 1.8D will work just fine on cameras that don't have a built-in auto focus motor, but you would have to manually turn the focus ring on the lens until the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder lights up indicating focus has been achieved.

You are correct, I just assumed people would realize I was saying it would not work "as intended for that lens", including any and all focusing and metering modes.

If you really want to be that picky, a thirty year old Nikon lens will work on a canon 7d as long as you don't mind no AF, no metering and you have to hold the lens steady because it won't mount either, but you can technically shoot with it.

Allan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back