Nikon repair quote question

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My 70-200 VR1 is acting up with the focus ring squeaking when it's turned past max or min and the focus ring is binding a little when zooming back from 200mm. I have never sent any Nikon products back to them for repair, so I started to complete their online repair form. When checking the appropriate box for the type of repair it quoted me at $600 right off the bat, and the fine print said that you essentially are pre-authorizing them to do $600 in repairs before they even tell you if it'll cost more or less than that.

Am I reading that right? Or do they give a more accurate quote once they get their hands on it and contact you before starting any work?

You are authorizing work not exceed $600; in other words, if it costs $300, they will charge you $300, but if it's going to cost $700, they will shake you down for another hundred. FWIW, Nikon Canada loves $350; everything lens-related seems to cost $350...

You are authorizing work not exceed $600; in other words, if it costs $300, they will charge you $300, but if it's going to cost $700, they will shake you down for another hundred. FWIW, Nikon Canada loves $350; everything lens-related seems to cost $350...

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be something like that. That's good to know about Nikon Canada. I assume they have no issue fixing US serial numbered equipment?

I'll have to send them an email to find out! It would be nice if they did service US purchased equipment.

Most reactions

Back