Nikon rumored to announce two full-frame mirrorless cameras next week

dascrow

TPF Tech
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nikon-2018-models.png

Nikon Rumors reports that Nikon plans to introduce two full-frame mirrorless cameras next Thursday, August 23rd. The cameras are called the Z6 and Z7, according to the rumor, and they would be introduced alongside three lenses designed for the new system.

Here are the rumored specs of the upcoming models:
  • Nikon Z6 will include a 24 megapixel full frame sensor.
  • Nikon Z7 will feature a 45 megapixel high resolution sensor.
Source: NikonRumors

Interesting. While I won't be investing in them, I hope the cameras are worth the hype and fanfare.

they would be introduced alongside three lenses designed for the new system
According to the rumor:
  1. 24-70mm f/4;
  2. 50mm f/1.8; and,
  3. One more wide angle lens (24mm f/1.8 or 28mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8).
Apparently they also have a 58mm f/0.95 planned?

I read the NikonRumors 'roundup' article...looks like Nikon has got two very modern designs ready to launch soon, as well as some wide-aperture lenses, including a 58mm f/0.95 model, and two,or perhaps three, fast wide-angles (24mm,28mm,and 35mm), and a ...boring 24-70mm f/4...

Z-mount as possibly the name for the new lens mount...huh...

This ought to prove interesting...wondering if Nikon can convince people they need an FX mirrorless solution? An interesting article regarding mirrorless here: Photos and Stuff: MIRRORLESS REVOLUTION!

Of greatest interest to me is the alleged F-mount converter.

Going high end for the profit first.

Now we have to wait how long for the APS-C iterations ??

Z7 vs D850 comparisons will be interesting. I suspect they’ll use the same sensor, or very similar.

Why would they pair a APS-C sensor with that huge-a$$ mount? Makes no sense.

To appeal to a broader market and sell more units. The more of the same parts you can use across different models, the more cost efficient your production can become and the more money you can make.

Why put different sensor sizes in the F mount? Why continue to make APS-C sized sensors in the F-mount once FX sensors were produced?

Last edited:

To appeal to a broader market and sell more units. The more of the same parts you can use across different models, the more cost efficient your production can become and the more money you can make.

Why put different sensor sizes in the F mount? Why continue to make APS-C sized sensors in the F-mount once FX sensors were produced?
The F mount came first (in film cameras), then the APS-C (due to sensor manufacturing economics), then the "full size" sensor (as manufacturing capabilities advanced and became more affordable).

The F mount came first (in film cameras), then the APS-C (due to sensor manufacturing economics), then the "full size" sensor (as manufacturing capabilities advanced and became more affordable).

Right. But once the FX sensor was released they could have easily discontinued DX sensors. But that wouldn’t have made any sense from a marketing perspective.

I can almost guarantee that the marketing department at Nikon has a DX mirrorless camera in the works to compete with Fuji. They would be foolish not to.

Right. But once the FX sensor was released they could have easily discontinued DX sensors. But that wouldn’t have made any sense from a marketing perspective.
Wrong! The smaller DX sensor is still cheaper to produce than the larger FX sensor, so it fills a lower-price point than the FX cameras. Marketing is partially about market share, so that is why they still produce the less-expensive cameras as well as the more expensive models.

The new mount is way larger, which implies a larger sensor is coming someday. The new mount has nothing to do with introducing a new DX-sized camera.

The new mount is way larger, which implies a larger sensor is coming someday.
I was wondering that... didn't some of the early rumors seem to indicate medium format?

Wrong! The smaller DX sensor is still cheaper to produce than the larger FX sensor, so it fills a lower-price point than the FX cameras. Marketing is partially about market share, so that is why they still produce the less-expensive cameras as well as the more expensive models.

The new mount is way larger, which implies a larger sensor is coming someday. The new mount has nothing to do with introducing a new DX-sized camera.

Yes, but based on that logic they will produce smaller sensors in this as well. Their options are:

A: allow other manufacturers to own the APS-C mirrorless market and give up market share

B: put an APS-C sensor in a camera with this mount

C: Develop an entirely new mount for APS-C mirrorless camera’s.

A and C seem extremely unlikely to me. B makes the most sense from a production and marketing perspective.

Why don’t the camera makers release a sensor that makes use of 100% of the area that the lens projects. My binoculars and scopes show me a round image. It would seem that a new camera mount and lens lineup could exploit this potential.

With digital not limited by the shape of film the sensor could be circular and different crop overlays could be shown in the viewfinder, or just crop later in post.

Why don’t the camera makers release a sensor that makes use of 100% of the area that the lens projects. My binoculars and scopes show me a round image. It would seem that a new camera mount and lens lineup could exploit this potential.

With digital not limited by the shape of film the sensor could be circular and different crop overlays could be shown in the viewfinder, or just crop later in post.
My guess is that it has to do with production... if they cut multiple sensors from a single sheet, they have "nothing" left over with rectangular sensors. There'd be a lot of waste with round sensors. Hexagon sensors, though... there'd be less waste than circular sensors.

Not to mention that everything else is rectangular or square in format (e.g., frames, paper).

It's easier to just tilt your camera to get different perspectives than to do it in post. :)

Most reactions

Back