Nikon rumored to announce two full-frame mirrorless cameras next week

As I understand it and from the drawings I've seen, it looks like these new Nikon bodies could easily take the digital medium format sensor size that is sometimes referred to as the 43 mm size, like the Fuji GSX, or the medium format Pentax models.

Yes, but based on that logic they will produce smaller sensors in this as well. Their options are:

A: allow other manufacturers to own the APS-C mirrorless market and give up market share

B: put an APS-C sensor in a camera with this mount

C: Develop an entirely new mount for APS-C mirrorless camera’s.

A and C seem extremely unlikely to me. B makes the most sense from a production and marketing perspective.
(B) O.K., they COULD, but why on earth would they? The extra large mount simply doesn't want or need a "crop" sensor.

Nikon already has a good range of DX cameras, albethey DSLRs with mirrors, so they have that format fairly well covered already.

As to the "mirrorless" line, since there isn't any real advantage other than eliminating mirror slap, I don't think Nikon will be losing significant market share even if they never produce a mirrorless camera, in either FX or DX size.

What real advantages are inherent in mirrorless cameras, and why do people want them?

(edit) O.K., I just thought of one; silent shooting.

Last edited:
I read the NikonRumors 'roundup' article...looks like Nikon has got two very modern designs ready to launch soon, as well as some wide-aperture lenses, including a 58mm f/0.95 model, and two,or perhaps three, fast wide-angles (24mm,28mm,and 35mm), and a ...boring 24-70mm f/4...

Z-mount as possibly the name for the new lens mount...huh...

This ought to prove interesting...wondering if Nikon can convince people they need an FX mirrorless solution? An interesting article regarding mirrorless here: Photos and Stuff: MIRRORLESS REVOLUTION!

Of greatest interest to me is the alleged F-mount converter.

Sony is the A lfa mount and Nikon is the Z omega mount....

The larger mount was also designed to accept an adapter so non-Z mount F-mount lenses can be used.
No reason to make it perfect in size and prevent compatibility to the existing F mount.

What real advantages are inherent in mirrorless cameras, and why do people want them?

Personally:
Adaptability (including rangefinder lenses etc)
Low light shooting
WYSIWYG particularly in IR etc.
Focus peaking/magnified view in viewfinder
even sometimes Review of shots via the viewfinder

Then there's Viewfinder during video if that's of interest & there are other advantages such as 'live composite' with some models too.

Nikon already has a good range of DX cameras, albethey DSLRs with mirrors, so they have that format fairly well covered already.

As to the "mirrorless" line, since there isn't any real advantage other than eliminating mirror slap, I don't think Nikon will be losing significant market share even if they never produce a mirrorless camera, in either FX or DX size.

At one time SONY didn't make Mirrorless cameras. They had their DSLR cameras.

Based on your statement that "I don't think Nikon will be losing significant market share even if they never produce a mirrorless camera, in either FX or DX size."

Technically then, SONY should not have sold one Mirrorless camera against their DSLRs.
And Nikon and Canon should never lose market share against Mirrorless cameras even in their own lineup, and neither should produce any at all.

But what is another technical advantage of mirorrless? FPS

Nikon has their 20fps Nikon1 (others are 15 and 10fps). They also had their now gone from their website "pro" mirrorless with a fixed lens that also did 20fps I believe.
But it's going to cost a lot more to get a DSLR's speed up to 20fps, and make it wholly affordable in the under $1,000 camera kit arena.

As SONY sells more mirrorless (and FujiFilm, Canon, etc) , you wonder what market share Nikon could have had additional to their DSLRs if they just do it right versus just making a weak alternative that they've hopefully had up until now.

Video has also driven the market. You personally, may not do video, but that doesn't mean other people don't.

One's individual Personal preference doesn't drive overall market share.
The camera makers have to move with where technology is in order to continue to compete.

You can probably list of a bunch of tech companies that thought newer tech stuff was fads and decided to compete too late and their names have gone to history.

The larger mount was also designed to accept an adapter so non-Z mount F-mount lenses can be used.
No reason to make it perfect in size and prevent compatibility to the existing F mount.
apparently, they are going to include a free f mount adapter with the purchase of the camera and the 58mm f/.095

Technically then, SONY should not have sold one Mirrorless camera against their DSLRs.
And Nikon and Canon should never lose market share against Mirrorless cameras even in their own lineup, and neither should produce any at all.
I did qualify that with "significant" market share.

Besides; I don't think Nikon needs to be concerned about Sony in the long run. Sony is primarily a consumer electronics company, whereas Nikon has a solid foundation and wide product line in optics.

As for "FPS", you can just purchase a Sony video camera and beat that 20fps speed any day of the week.

Yes, there are some advantages to an EVF, but how many photographers will be willing to spend the money?

Yes, there are some advantages to an EVF, but how many photographers will be willing to spend the money?

a lot.

Sony tops full-frame camera market in US ahead of Nikon’s big announcement

Sony has officially surpassed Canon to lead the full-frame camera market in the United States. The company claims to have taken a lead “in both dollars and units” sold. But it likely won’t have too much time to rest on its laurels, given that Nikon is expected to be looking to muscle in on Sony’s full-frame mirrorless cameras next week.

the sony system aint cheap...

As for "FPS", you can just purchase a Sony video camera and beat that 20fps speed any day of the week.

Not at 24 or 45 megapixels with the same image quality as one of these cameras, you can’t.

Based on sony’s sales of the A7R series cameras: ALOT.

I did qualify that with "significant" market share.

Besides; I don't think Nikon needs to be concerned about Sony in the long run. Sony is primarily a consumer electronics company, whereas Nikon has a solid foundation and wide product line in optics.

And that's how many in various industries have lost their entire market; by ignoring competition. SONY has been expanding their lineup with both cameras and lenses. Matter of fact .. where does Nikon get their sensors ?

SONY has an entire lineup of mirrorless cameras. So people can initially buy into the system and move up the lineup if they wish. They started with the APS-C sensors if I recall, then moved up the food chain. Whereas Nikon is starting on top and hopefully will move down the line.
A9 - $4,100 (retail)
A7r3 - $3,000
a7r2 - $2,000
a7e - $1,100 (skipping a few camera bodies too)
a6500 - $1,200
a6300 - $900
a6000 - $450
a5100 - $350

Braineack said:
the sony system aint cheap...

And it's because the Sony system is not cheap that Nikon is going head to head with Sony with 24 and 45 megapixel full frame mirrorless models at introduction in just a couple days.

It makes sense to try and offer an alternative to the leader especially if you are Nikon, and the leader is Sony.
Pretty much the same sensors in the same mega pixel count but two different brands, one with a very long history and cameras and the other a much shorter history in cameras

Most reactions

New Topics

Back