Nikon Rumors D7200 (30/Jan/2014)

Is that camera in the video fitted with a rubber-like "skin", like maybe the Delkin Snug-It?? AT first viewing I thought the camera was a dull, flat-black, like maybe it was a "mule", which is what prototypes in the field are called. But the stills above make it look like it's just a D7000 inside its Snug It protective sheath. Delkin Devices Snug-It Pro Skin Camera Protector DDSPROND7000-B

Right, that's what I am seeing too...

I'd like to comment,but I misplaced that darn crystal ball again !!

Nikon is about to lose me. I have been waiting for a D300s replacement for a couple of years, but can't wait much longer. I now have the chance the actually make some money shooting high school sports and will be upgrading to a new body and a couple of lenses soon. I mostly will be shooting outdoors at night in poorly lit stadiums where the lights cycle frequency causes havoc with the white balance. So I need to be able to shoot a high frame rate in RAW so I can adjust the white balance easily if needed. Not to mention having a true weather-sealed pro body since I will be shooting regardless of the weather.

Unfortunately my budget is not big enough for a D4s, but I do have about $2K for a new body and actually want a DX for the extra reach. The D7100 has a good sensor, but the lack of buffer makes it useless to me. Apparently Canon is about to introduce the 7D mkII for around $2K and if it has the pro body, high fps, large buffer, etc. it is rumored to have, then I will probably jump ship and drop my funds for a new body and lenses on it. I would really hate to do it since I have been shooting Nikon since the early 90's, but if Canon has what I need and Nikon doesn't...

Nikon is about to lose me. I have been waiting for a D300s replacement for a couple of years, but can't wait much longer. I now have the chance the actually make some money shooting high school sports and will be upgrading to a new body and a couple of lenses soon. I mostly will be shooting outdoors at night in poorly lit stadiums where the lights cycle frequency causes havoc with the white balance. So I need to be able to shoot a high frame rate in RAW so I can adjust the white balance easily if needed. Not to mention having a true weather-sealed pro body since I will be shooting regardless of the weather.

Unfortunately my budget is not big enough for a D4s, but I do have about $2K for a new body and actually want a DX for the extra reach. The D7100 has a good sensor, but the lack of buffer makes it useless to me. Apparently Canon is about to introduce the 7D mkII for around $2K and if it has the pro body, high fps, large buffer, etc. it is rumored to have, then I will probably jump ship and drop my funds for a new body and lenses on it. I would really hate to do it since I have been shooting Nikon since the early 90's, but if Canon has what I need and Nikon doesn't...

Well depending on how much glass you have you might be better off waiting for the D7200, if the rumors are true Nikon is supposedly addressing the buffer issue. But in the end you have to go with whatever suits your needs best. I've actually gotten pretty good results on the D5200 by using continuous low and a sandisk extreme pro 95 mbs card for shooting RAW, I can generally get 8-9 frames at 3 FPS and then it will continue to shoot at 2 FPS until I pause for a second or two and let the buffer clear a bit. Granted I'd like a little higher FPS for sports shooting but if I need RAW that seems to work fairly well. If I can go JPG I can change to continuous high and fire away at 5 FPS pretty much all day with the faster card, but sometimes as you noted because of the white balance shooting a little slower and getting RAW is a better option.

I think if Nikon does address this with the D7200 they will have a real winner on their hands, so me I plan to wait an see what happens once it comes out.

It would not surprise me if no replacement for the 7d arises, similar to the way no newer D300s replacement arrived yet. It seems convenient that both Nikon and Canon remain quiet on their top of Line crop replacements and both now have a fullframe in that price bracket. Sometimes arch rivals come together for plans. If they both don't threaten that segment they can focus on a different segment.

Have you looked at the Pentax k3.?

I just bought the D7100......so the D7200 will be announced by the end of the month.....lol

You do know that as soon as you get the Canon the D400 will arrive ! All these folks say wait for the D7200 are not in your shoes if the Canon fits the bill why not switch over. I have Nikon gear but I'm thinking of going to Canon for FF.I'm loyal to no one but myself.

Last edited:

It would not surprise me if no replacement for the 7d arises, similar to the way no newer D300s replacement arrived yet. It seems convenient that both Nikon and Canon remain quiet on their top of Line crop replacements and both now have a fullframe in that price bracket. Sometimes arch rivals come together for plans. If they both don't threaten that segment they can focus on a different segment.

True about the possibility of no 7D replacement. I am going off what Canon Rumors is saying - a Q2 release, we shall see. As for the K3, it looks like a great camera and I have thought about it. My concern is that my ultimate goal is be a serious sports/event photographer so I am also looking at the full eco-system I am buying into. IF the 7D MKII comes out soon at the $2K price point, then it is a slam dunk. With my $4K budget I can get get the new body, 70-200L lens (going for 1/500 SS so don't need IS/VR) and a couple of primes to start with. Then grow from there as needed.

I've said this before... but the 'buffer' issue on the D7100 isn't an issue with the buffer. Its an issue with write speeds. All a bigger buffer would do is slow the camera down more when it writes the data to disk (longer write times).

The fix for the D7200 is going to be (needs to be) a UHS-II bus...
SanDisk Announces Extreme PRO SDHC/SDXC UHS-II Memory Cards | explora

The higher MP the images... the more data you are moving around.. the more data you move around.. the faster you 'internals' need to be.

Yup, Nikon has to get with USH-II cards--the Fuji X-T1 is already there. Expect any D7XXX update to have an Expeed 4, too. Or something totally new in processing?

True about the possibility of no 7D replacement. I am going off what Canon Rumors is saying - a Q2 release, we shall see. As for the K3, it looks like a great camera and I have thought about it. My concern is that my ultimate goal is be a serious sports/event photographer so I am also looking at the full eco-system I am buying into. IF the 7D MKII comes out soon at the $2K price point, then it is a slam dunk. With my $4K budget I can get get the new body, 70-200L lens (going for 1/500 SS so don't need IS/VR) and a couple of primes to start with. Then grow from there as needed.

Sounds like a plan.......

Should I wait for the d7200 for my first camera? Or will the wait be too long? d7100 is more than a year old....

It's your own choice...
Nobody can decide that for you.

The D7200 is still onby a rumor, not yet confirmed officially by Nikon.

Most reactions

Back