Nikon Shutter Problem?

Hillsong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All.

Sadly this post is not a post of curiosity, but of necessity.

So today I go out for another shoot of some local wildlife. With the very first shot i knew something was wrong. The camera sounded different. It didn't have the full meaty *click* sound. It had a slower click with almost a tinny sound quality. Then i noticed that I could not use the shutter as rapidly as i could just yesterday. The camera is at a full charge and is being used the same way i always use it: Carefully. I Value this camera way to much to ever be reckless with it. If indeed the shutter is going, then I will be without a camera until i can get the money to fix it, which is likely to be a long time. (most likely all the money that would have been going to a new lens).

So has anyone had this experience? I know this is odd to have the sound as a symptom but any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Hillsong

Last edited:
It would help to know which camera this was. Certain production runs of the D70 had shutter issues, typically failing after 20 - 25,000 actuations. Shutter replacement for most Nikon bodies is typically <$400, so it shouldn't eat too much a hole in your lens budget.

Its a Nikon D300 at 30k actuations. :( and unfortunately $400 is a decent sized hole in my spending budget. College is expensive.

Sounds like you should either a) take it into a camera store and let them take a listen/look or b) send it into Nikon. Is it still under warranty?

:(

Sounds like you should either a) take it into a camera store and let them take a listen/look or b) send it into Nikon. Is it still under warranty?

:(

Unfortunately not. :( I'm gunna have a "local" store take a look ata it (45 minute drive). The camera still take pics, but it just...doesn't sound healthy.

Just give Nikon a call. But I can tell you with 90% certainty they will ask you to send it in. Stupid expensive hobby eh?

Crumb. I just reread this and noticed I misread what you said.. that you WOULD be taking it in. No more replying for me seeing as it is 2:30am and obviously not my most productive hour.

Last edited:
Just give Nikon a call. But I can tell you with 90% certainty they will ask you to send it in. Stupid expensive hobby eh?

Crumb. I just reread this and noticed I misread what you said.. that you WOULD be taking it in. No more replying for me seeing as it is 2:30am and obviously not my most productive hour.

Haha No worries :) good thing this also isn't the most conducive hour for photography or else alot of us would lead very tired lives

What was your shutter speed at the time ? if you were shooting in aperture priority the shutter speed could have been very slow

Yeah I would definately take it into a "local" store just to check on it. My friend had this happen but with a Canon model, her shutter did this and she kept shooting with it, her shutter ended up freezing and stayed open, and broke. She just sent it in to get it fixed.

Most reactions

Back