Not safe for work...Need some input on picture control

crazyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
What do you mean by Picture Control? Processing styles?

HE means the in camera editing stuff

IMHO all of them look gross, and the boring shot doesnt help

Get out of the camera. The processing styles there are just marketing rubbish. Shoot in raw, process in Adobe Raw Converter or Capture One, and work the image into something you like.

Compositionally the image is not perfect, and the pose is not flattering. She's an attractive woman, it should be easy to capture some good images. Look at shots you like, agree with her which ones are good, and shoot in that style. It's a great way to learn.

Jimmy, you use a Canon, correct? How does the internal picture processing work? Are there default settings (natural, ect.)? If so hopefully they are better than the Nikon default settings (which are awful in my opinion, vivid and standard are both too overprocessed).

I use nikon. I NEVER use the in camera stuff. Like iron said its marketing ****.

crazyy, I used to use the in camera picture controls myself too when I got my first digital SLR. I found out though that the pictures really kinda sucked and it didn't really do to the pictures what I wanted. I just shoot straight RAW with no modifications to the image. I figure anything that needs to be done can be done by me in Lightroom. And what is "right" is completely up to you. I do things to photos that most people don't consider "right" but its my photo and I'm the artist so its up to me. Same with you. But the only way for you to learn post processing is to keep taking pictures and editing them :) What looks right to you will turn into second nature.

BTW, what program do you use? Lightroom? If you don't have it, the beta version of Lightroom 3 is available on their website for free for the next couple months. It gives you a lot of control.

Your photos are much too yellow for an aged color printer like myself.

Unfortunately artisitcally it is not usually up to me. Most of what I do is for other people and they want RAW files submitted directly, which is why I haven't picked up the post processing very well yet.

However when I do post process I use Photoshop and View NX (awful piece of software which I have been trying to get away from). Still learning Photoshop though.

What do you mean they want RAW files submitted directly? You NEVER give your RAW files. You post process and save as a TIF or JPEG. The RAW file is like the master file. Its your backup. It never changes, so you always have it to go back to and re-adjust. As for Photoshop, unless you have an old version of photoshop, you are going to want to learn that over lightroom ( although lightroom does have a little less of a learning curve and shares a lot of the same basic settings and functions ) Regardless of what you use though, I will bet money that you will get better pictures by just using preset functions ( "Auto" Buttons ) in Photoshop or Lightroom then you will ever get out of your In-Camera settings.

Look on Youtube and look up photoshop. Anything you want, " How to brighten colors in photoshop", "How to use masks", "Photoshop Basics", whatever you need to know. There are countless videos on there. Visit your library and get some books.

To me they look primarily over saturated and yellow/reddish. Also, the backgrounds are rather distracting. Though I do like the other poses quite a bit better.

I would be happy to do a quick edit to show more of what I would go for with these images.

One other quick nit... if I were giving these to the woman in the photo, I would probably clone out/heal the stretch marks. Very easy to do, and typically looks better (IMO)

Most reactions

Back