Off Camera Flash: First Attempt (C&C)

K8-90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally coerced my sister into being a model for me, and set up a mini studio in my basement. The "studio" consisted of a white bed-sheet thumbtacked to the ceiling beams, 2 flashes (one bare and one with a shoot through umbrella) on stands. I triggered them wirelessly with cactus V4s, so they were set manually.

What do you think?

5432335260_974416c47b_z.jpg

5432335086_9c252c130b_z.jpg

3. (I know wrinkled backgrounds are a no-no, so I tried to photoshop a background - does it work?)
5431726183_1b162a4622_z.jpg

I think maybe the light camera-right might have been a touch too hot, and the one camera-left should have been a little higher (height-wise, not light-wise). There's light falloff towards the top left of the frame which kind of leaves some of her forehead in shadow while the rest of her is very evenly lit.

The third pic is the best lit of the three in my opinion, but there's still a little less light on her forehead than elsewhere.

Overall, great job though. I love her hair! :)

Hmm, ok. It's really tricky trying to chose the right strength for the flashes in relation to the distance! Going to have to try again.

And I'll definitely be passing on the complement to her hair - she hates that it's curly!

The biggest thing I notice, not so much flash related though, is that she is too close to the background. Generally you want your subject at least 5-6 feet away from it.

The problem this brings up (due to the inverse square law, technically) is that the light falloff from your subject to your background will render the background gray rather than white. So you generally need to use a seperate flash (or 2) to light the background seperately from the subject.

But as far as lighting the subject goes, nice job! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I have two lights to work with, so I think next time I may try lighting the background with one light, and using a reflector in it's place to illuminate the opposite side of the subject.

How do you light a background, anyways? Do I need a light modifier or can I use a bare flash?

Thanks!

I have two lights to work with, so I think next time I may try lighting the background with one light, and using a reflector in it's place to illuminate the opposite side of the subject.

How do you light a background, anyways? Do I need a light modifier or can I use a bare flash?

There a different methods and opinions on this. I generally use bare lights. You are looking to overexpose the white background evenly by 2 stops. The generally accepter method for this is to put a flash on each side of it (pointing at each other), skimming across the background.

Since you have one light, your going to want it pretty far from the backgound to get even light distribution (I'd say at least 6-8 feet from the background. maybe more, depending). You may have to put a gobo/flag on the flash to stop it from hitting your subject.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll have to experiment with that.

One more...

5433032582_3078052b1f_z.jpg

No comments on the background? Two are the original, while the other two are photoshopped in.

Actually, you know what, I had noticed the backgrounds looked much nicer on the second two shots but didn't stop to think that you'd 'shopped them in. Nice work!

I'm a computer guy and I'm not unfamiliar with photo editing, but I still tend to think of it as a tool to fix blemishes and such and less as a tool to completely change something about the photo, even if it's just a background. It works well in your photos, so I'm definitely going to need to give that a shot. :)

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for - I didn't want it to be too unnatural.

I learned photoshop/editing before I got into photography, so I'm kinda lazy. Didn't feel like ironing the sheet :p I also don't have enough flashes to light it properly. So... I faked it :D

5432335260_974416c47b_z.jpg
5433032582_3078052b1f_z.jpg

The majjor improvement is how you lit the second of these. In your first shot because you lit her on the strong side her classic nose is accentuated against the shadows on her cheek.

In the second of the 2 you have her lit correctly with short side lighting with minimizes her classic nose.

Well done!

I agree with what has been said, all good tips, Id like to add how on the last 2, her skin tones look a little bit warmer and smoother.
Great job!

Most reactions

Back