Oh... the agony...

Freddeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Basically, I've got a dilemma. I've tried to talk about it with my wife, but she redirects me to my father in law, who obviously says: "Get yourself an AF-S compatible lens..."

Here's the deal. Yesterday a friend passed me a Sigma DL Zoom 75-200 lens. Not the APO though... He tells me the autofocus motor in it should work, it worked on the D80 of a friend of his. So I thought I'd look deeper into it, and took the lens with me.
Now I've concluded that the autofocus option will not work (obviously), since in the D80, the motor is inside the camera. Naturally, since I'm not such a big spender and this was my first D-SLR, I got me a D40, in which is not a motor. The AF motor for the D40 is in the lense, so I've been told.

Basically that sucks.

I want more zoom range, so I thought I'd get my friends 75-300. But now that doesn't work, I could as well go to the store and get something different, a Tamron 55-200. Obviously, that lens does have an AF motor and is designed to work on a D40. But it costs double the amount of the 75-300, which would be handed over for €50.

I haven't paid for the 75-300 yet, but I'm still having the dilemma. I need more zoom, but do I really need AF? I'm thinking to go shooting some pictures this weekend with the 75-300, so I can try to find out if I really need it. Though, when a squirrel starts running, I might be better of with the Tamron...

My brain hurts... Can anyone of you give me some pro's and cons on both the Tamron 55-200 (with AF) and the Sigma 75-300 (without AF)?

As I said... Oh, the agony!

So basically I'm stuck with either the 75-300 or a brand new lens from either Sigma or Nikon? :(

Sigma lenses will only AF if they are HSM lenses, and only Nikon AF-S will AF

Thanks for the heads up on that...

Just took a peak at a webshop, turns out the Sigma HSM 55-200 would cost me €180 and the Nikon AS-F 55-200 would cost me €170.

Basically I think I will stick to the Sigma from my friend, without AF. Reason is that I need a lens, and can't just throw 170/180 over the counter. I'd get into big trouble with the mrs ;)

Most reactions

Back