Ok, I've been trying avoid saying it, but here it goes....

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been asking some questions here and there without flat out saying why, because I wanted to avoid the whole crazed threads that usually come along with saying you want to be a professional one day. But I just admitted in another thread, so here it goes lol.

I enrolled into photography school last fall. I'm a bit ahead of the class because a lot of what we're just starting to do I have learned through a lot of people here (Thanks lol :) .

Well anyways I've been trying to think about where I want to start when I am done with school.

I've been really enjoying doing pet portraits! For most photography jobs the lighting and eqiupment costs so much money, takes time to get said equipment for any type of job. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the most recommended lighting for pet portraits is natural light (hence my pet portrait thread a fewdays ago). I am not looking to start charging for my photography or calling myself a professional anytime soon, just thinking of the future. I thought that maybe pet portraits would be a cheaper and a more practical avenue to start with if using natural light. And that would give me a chance to save some money for equipment, build up some clients, get myself out there. It just seems like a more practical way to start. I don't want to just be starting on my first job and have a $20,000 wedding on my shoulders.

But again, I don't plan on calling myself a professional or charging anytime soon. Just trying to weigh out my options and deciding what direction I want to go in so I can specifically practice and focus in that area. I'm taking a business/marketing is part of the photography program.

thankfully my husband makes enough to support me, so I can really take my time with school, learning and not rush it. He makes enough that I don't need a full time income. Some extra cash a month would suffice!

As I learned in another thread, natural light will not suffice in all conditions (or be a lot harder).

So am I way off base? Will pet portraits be a more practical avenue? I just don't want to jump the gun. Any general advice about what clients look for in pet portaits, specific items needed for pet portaits, specifics to work on etc would be great.

Here is what I have so far. Again, I know I have a ways to go before I start charging :) Pet portaits - a set on Flickr

I know I'm in school, but I'd like to ask people actually living in it.

I have seen incredible pet portraits on this site and others and live. I'm sorry that yours are not among those that I would, as a pet owner, pay for yet.

GeorgieGirl, did you read my post? Not being sarasctic, just asking :)

I've been asking some questions here and there without flat out saying why, because I wanted to avoid the whole crazed threads that usually come along with saying you want to be a professional one day. But I just admitted in another thread, so here it goes lol.

I enrolled into photography school last fall. I'm a bit ahead of the class because a lot of what we're just starting to do I have learned through a lot of people here (Thanks lol :) .

Well anyways I've been trying to think about where I want to start when I am done with school.

I've been really enjoying doing pet portraits! For most photography jobs the lighting and eqiupment costs so much money, takes time to get said equipment for any type of job. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems the most recommended lighting for pet portraits is natural light (hence my pet portrait thread a fewdays ago). I am not looking to start charging for my photography or calling myself a professional anytime soon, just thinking of the future. I thought that maybe pet portraits would be a cheaper and a more practical avenue to start with if using natural light. And that would give me a chance to save some money for equipment, build up some clients, get myself out there. It just seems like a more practical way to start. I don't want to just be starting on my first job and have a $20,000 wedding on my shoulders.

But again, I don't plan on calling myself a professional or charging anytime soon. Just trying to weigh out my options and deciding what direction I want to go in so I can specifically practice and focus in that area. I'm taking a business/marketing is part of the photography program.

thankfully my husband makes enough to support me, so I can really take my time with school, learning and not rush it. He makes enough that I don't need a full time income. Some extra cash a month would suffice!

As I learned in another thread, natural light will not suffice in all conditions (or be a lot harder).

So am I way off base? Will pet portraits be a more practical avenue? I just don't want to jump the gun. Any general advice about what clients look for in pet portaits, specific items needed for pet portaits, specifics to work on etc would be great.

Here is what I have so far. Again, I know I have a ways to go before I start charging :) Pet portaits - a set on Flickr

More looking for general advice on what general areas to work on if I go that direction and if that direction is a good way start. Wasn't really wondering if I am ready to start yet.

I have seen incredible pet portraits on this site and others and live. I'm sorry that yours are not among those that I would, as a pet owner, pay for yet.

Not a day goes by , does it?
Your reply had nothing to do with the OP's information. If you'd have red the entire post..........oh nevermind.
It was just an obvious chance for you to jump in, and as usual, embarrass yourself.
This clearly demonstrates your demeanor.

Not a day goes by , does it?Your reply had nothing to do with the OP's information. If you'd have red the entire post..........oh nevermind.It was just an obvious chance for you to jump in, and as usual, embarrass yourself.This clearly demonstrates your demeanor.
Lol

Hey Angel.. ever notice how many of your threads seem to blow up into a SHEEET STorm? lol!

I know!!!! And ill admit I can be a smart ass. But this was NOT my fault!! :lol:

GeorgieGirl, did you read my post? Not being sarasctic, just asking :)

More looking for general advice on what general areas to work on if I go that direction and if that direction is a good way start. Wasn't really wondering if I am ready to start yet.

Yes. I read you post. Aside from the personal items that you included and that do not apply to someome as an end user, I replied objectively. There is a link to a member here that you might want to speak with as to end game....this was a two light set up. Simple and achievable...he shows his dogs...I think I have it bookmarked and I will attempt to locate it for you so you can use it as a guide.

I don't know squat about pet photography but it seems to be something people want. I was chatting with a lady the other day who asked me if I shoot animals. I told her I have not done any work like that (unless you count chasing my nutty cat around the house with my camera). She said she was having the hardest time finding anyone local who would take pictures of her dogs and went on and on about dog shows and breeders and such and how I should consider that niche. I don't happen to have any interest in it myself, but I think by the time you get finished with school, you can make good business with it.

I live in Australia so in Florida might be a pit different, I also wish to break into the pet photography world, but no luck, I have posted flyers at my local vet, pet parlours and pet shops as well as dropping flyers of in my neighbourhood and advertising in local papers on line, no enquiry what so ever.

Here is my facebook pet page, I use two lights and a muslin backdrop most of the photos taken with a 50mm 1.8
Facebook

A few weeks ago a work colleague has asked how much would I charge for a wedding I said as a favour I will charge $500 for a full wedding and print the proofs for them to keep as well as a high res of all the photos on a dvd, hey got back to me few days later thanking me for the package, but they will go with a friend who will do the wedding, dvd and an album for $400.
(I have spent over $10,000 on my camera, two lenses and flash, 4 years at uni studying photography and another 5 years experience as a lifestyle photographer, HOW CAN I BEAT THAT, it’s pretty obvious to me that quality is not number one priority when it comes to photography, PRICE IS)

Last edited:
Hey Angel.. ever notice how many of your threads seem to blow up into a SHEEET STorm? lol!
But drama on the first reply. New record :lol:

A legitmate reposne labeled as drama...spare me. I will not bother with the link for you. Maybe Charlie can find it...or one of the others...Good Luck to you.

But I think drama on the first reply. New record :lol:

well.. she was being honest! I wouldn't pay you take shot of my pets either, yet! (although I can think of ways I would pay you to take pictures of my pets... but they all involve you wearing an extra small french maid costume.. while you chase my cats up and down the stairs!)

I think you gotta take one step at a time with these things.

First things first I'd focus on getting yourself a versatile and suitable tool for taking the photos of the pets* - focus on getting yourself a camera to work with. A cheap 50mm lens for starting off and a DSLR camera body. Once you've got that basis I'd then consider lighting - yes lighting. Sure you can take some great shots with just ambient light** but it significantly limits you if you can only work with the ambient. This becomes even more critical if you want to approach things professionally - you can't just roll up to someones home (or them to your studio) and cancel because the outdoors lighting is wrong - if the lights poor you've got to learn to make up for it with your gear.
On that note you can get cheaper flash units which will lack some of the auto features and many of the fancy custom modes, but will have manual power outputs which you can work with. A few cheap speedlites combined with a basic lighting setup of diffusers (Eg umbrellas and background).
This basic set of tools will, once you learn, set you in a good standing. At the very least all the skills you learn with the flash about diffusing, controlling, excluding, exposing, directing etc.. the light will carry forward into your ambient lighting control as well.

I know you don't want to splurge money on things and want to take your time, but I also feel that there's a minimum level of tools and understanding that you need to invest in - make that leap and you can start making a big advance in what you're capable of doing.

*I am not saying that DSLRs are the only way forward, but they are generally far superior and easier to use over point and shoot type cameras.

**I'm not falling into natural light or not - its ambient!

I live in Australia so in Florida might be a pit different, I also wish to break into the pet photography world, but no luck, I have posted flyers at my local vet, pet parlours and pet shops as well as dropping flyers of in my neighbourhood and advertising in local papers on line, no enquiry what so ever.

Here is my facebook pet page, I use two lights and a muslin backdrop most of the photos taken with a 50mm 1.8
Facebook

A few weeks ago a work colleague has asked how much would I charge for a wedding I said as a favour I will charge $500 for a full wedding and print the proofs for them to keep as well as a high res of all the photos on a dvd, hey got back to me few days later thanking me for the package, but they will go with a friend who will do the wedding, dvd and an album for $400.
(I have spent over $10,000 on my equipment, 4 years at uni studying photography and another 5 years experience as a lifestyle photographer, HOW CAN I BEAT THAT, it’s pretty obvious to me that quality is not number one priority when it comes to photography, PRICE IS)

I know. I was looking through some online pet photographers for hire to see the quality of work. And honestly it was sad. I could take better photos (And that's in no way lift MYSELF up :lol: ) right now then this one woman. She didn't have a single eye in focus, a totally missed blurred face and she was charging like $300 a session.

Most reactions

Back