Ok, I've been trying avoid saying it, but here it goes....

Freelance photography should not be the beginning of your career it should be after you have experience.

But, but, but...everyone has to start somewhere!

Oh, I SEE!

This needs posted in every "Ima gonna start a business" thread!

I do have to ask if you think this applies to all the MWC's that are only looking at this for side income. They already have $$$ support, or regular jobs.
I think this is a key difference in thinking. So many of the people that come here asking about "business" are really only going after a paid hobby, not really as a sole income, support yourself profession. Amiright?

Freelance photography should not be the beginning of your career it should be after you have experience.

Oh, I SEE!

I do have to ask if you think this applies to all the MWC's that are only looking at this for side income. They already have $$$ support, or regular jobs.
I think this is a key difference in thinking. So many of the people that come here asking about "business" are really only going after a paid hobby, not really as a sole income, support yourself profession. Amiright?

You are correct Sir.

I went into business full time for myself after only 10 years in the business. It is scary when you say sayonara to cheap health insurance, guaranteed weekly paychecks and 401Ks and hello to Business manager fees, attorney fees, accountant fees, quarterly taxes, liability insurance. This list goes on. However, nothing is more fun then saying goodbye to your employer on your own terms.

Oh, I SEE!

You are correct Sir.

I went into business full time for myself after only 10 years in the business. It is scary when you say sayonara to cheap health insurance, guaranteed weekly paychecks and 401Ks and hello to Business manager fees, attorney fees, accountant fees, quarterly taxes, liability insurance. This list goes on. However, nothing is more fun then saying goodbye to your employer on your own terms.

I hear ya. I would never have gone out on my own 10 years ago, and that's already having 10 years in the field under my belt. I couldn't image how much I would have struggled, and how much longer it would have taken me to get where I am today. I feel you shouldn't really go start a "skill" related business and expect to be successful until you are confident that your product or service can compete with the upper 25% of the competition (and expect to be very successful, and not struggle).

Doing it as a paid hobby is another story though. You are not forced to make money, since it is just "extra" money. You don't have to value your time the same as a real business. Your time sitting there editing photos can be looked at as just something to do instead of watching TV, so you don't really need to get $100-$150 an hour for your time. Calling yourself a business at that point is just using the term loosely, and in a romantic manner.

Oh, I SEE!

I hope so, because if is not the case, that is pretty sad how some people think. But I am sure there are those that have lost their minds.

DawnClementsPhotoshoot-3.jpg

DawnClementsPhotoshoot-2.jpg

If pet photography is your passion, then by all means go for it. While you are growing to this end, there is a lot more out there to be shooting. Don't limit yourself.

My 2¢.

1 - Neat final photo (Esp those two at each end with the same head tilt)

2 - What happened to the cat?

That cat in the front is the boss

I do like the idea that many who want to start a business really mean they want a paying hobby. That's what I've done for the past 40 or so years. Always had my full time job with benefits, and made money "on the side" with my camera. Worked out great for me, I've been retired from my job for 11 years now and I still enjoy photography. Not making much if any money with the hobby these days, but now it doesn't matter.

Well I only got 2 pages in to this thread and I don't have time to read the rest :lol:. But I work in the pet industry, and here pet photography is HUGE. To people without kids (or kids who are grown) pets ARE children! Here is a website from one of the best know/most popular pet photogs here in Austin. I prefer this type of photography over studio type. Showing the pets in their natural element with their owners Home » Nicole Mlakar Photography – Austin, Texas Lifestyle Photographer for pets and the people who love them. good luck!

i agree with the following:

1. focus on your new equipment as you've said you have intentions to do. yay!

2. pet photography is a lucrative photography business if you do it right and find your market; there IS a market for it

3. capture the personality of the animal... best way to make your images wonderful

This is one pet photographer that I think is just amazing: scruffy dog photography professional lifestyle pet photographer serving Toronto and Ontario and of course, there's sharon montrose who does it totally differently: The Animal Print Shop | Sharon Montrose | Animal Art | Nursery Art

I'm glad everyone is taking you seriously and not acting like pervs, P.S. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back