Ok, I've been trying avoid saying it, but here it goes....

I have seen incredible pet portraits on this site and others and live. I'm sorry that yours are not among those that I would, as a pet owner, pay for yet.

If you're going to post without even reading the OP, you might as well just sit alone in your house and talk to yourself, because you're the only one who cares what you're saying.

How rude.

Well you know what...I am the most intelligent person that I know...they rest of you's here...not so much...hahahahaha! Join the select clearly visible MOB on this thread....

?
Vodka. It's what's fer dinner.

DSLR + 50mm f1.8 lens + elcheapo manual flash unit (eg Yongo something) bug someone for a model name

beyond that what budget do you have to spend?

I don't really have a set budget. I really just need to know the "what" and decide from that what I am willing/able to spend on said item. I'm getting a Nikon D3100. $100 for a lens is a very plausible expense for me in the not too distant future after my camera.

A question I always ask myself, what's the difference between me and the next guy with a nice camera?

I think I might be wrong but I think the Nikon 50mm is around the $300+ mark

katerolla said:
I think I might be wrong but I think the Nikon 50mm is around the $300+ mark

220.00 or so new. 100 if you get the manual focus one. Need af-s lenses for autofocus on the d3100

nm!

Last edited:
I purchased this book earlier this week. I needed a new book and I knew that I wanted to work with some pets in the future. This book does a good job discussing the necessary equipment for the job. It talks mostly about outdoor shooting, instead of studio work. I'd recommend this book, especially since it is on $15.01 new.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
After looking at your link in the first post, I think you need to take more time to capture the essence of the pet's character. Just having an image with an animal in it won't suffice. Study hard in your classes, ask your instructor loads of questions and practice a lot.

For future equipment, I highly recommend at least a hotshoe speedlight.

DSC_5846_edited-2.jpg

1225114514_4oSPk-XL.jpg

Having a good dose of patience is required IMO. Sometimes it take a while for them to cooperate........

DawnClementsPhotoshoot-3.jpg

DawnClementsPhotoshoot-2.jpg

If pet photography is your passion, then by all means go for it. While you are growing to this end, there is a lot more out there to be shooting. Don't limit yourself.

My 2¢.

+1 with the 50mm - unfortunately you will have to get the slightly more expensive version or make due with manual focus. I have the 50 mm f/1.8D and I'd say it's the sharpest lens you can get for such a pittance. It won't autofocus on a D3100, alas. Pet photography is good along with nature photography to help you learn patience and timing.

Yeah, I had no desire to read this whole thread so here is my advice to the OP based on her first post. Being a professional photographer does not mean you have to start out on your own. Owning your own business is hard. Get a job with a photography studios first. You need to learn the business first, little by little build up your equipment, etc... Freelance photography should not be the beginning of your career it should be after you have experience.

That is why I boggle at all the people that want to start a business and are asking equipment questions. You should know this already because you have been working as a photography employee. Even a school photographer will learn from their job.

You are not ready to start a photography business right out of college. Get experience. When you have enough capital to start a business right, then you can quit your full time job and become a business owner. You can either pay your dues working for someone or fail trying to go out on your own right out of the gate.

If you don't like paperwork, sales, tax forms and insurance payments and cannot afford a business manager, get a job at a studio and leave the business stuff to the owner.

Dont worry about a specialty at this point. Worry about gear. You need more gear regardless of what you choose to shoot. Start creating your arsenal a bit at a time. But if you do want to go into business I would suggest either taking some business classes or getting a business consultant to assist you. I do business consulting and you can feel free to reach out to me if needed.

Online school or brick and mortar school? Self paced or structured?

You still have a very big learning curve to come because so far you have been shooting in auto and when you get a DSLR you will have to adjust it yourself for the best results, for pet portraits your best being able to shoot with natural light and flash because there is no way a pet is going to sit in the perfect position and when you get your reflector out the dog/cat will be off

Ooh ooh if you were the owner of squirrel would you pay for this pet portrait?

DSCN0453 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

Just kidding LOL

If the squirrel were in the frame in a standard (even for a squirrel) position. With the horizon close to flat and with room at the top and not too much at the bottom, it would be OK.
It's in focus, the background is OOF - if someone loves their rodent, its salable.
But it has to look intended, everything in place, even a vignette and portrait-ly or people will think it's a snap that they could do.

Some significant amount of the effectiveness of any shot is the finishing.

6649631107d28cbe3b43lll.jpg

Most reactions

Back