Okay, wtf is with the new layout

from what I have read 720-800 pixels on the longest side is about the optimal size for a photo to ensure that those with smaller screens can see the whole image. Going larger to 1000 pixels is just way too big for some screen to handle with a single viewing - old or new style TPF.
I also like the idea of the image limit in some ways - at least it would help reduce the newer people who sometimes will post very large numbers of photos in a single post - however I also remember things such as photo meets which run with a lot more photos. In this case I am a little hesetant to suggest an enforced photo number limit per post since it would destroy these types of thread from really being possible and introducing different rules for different areas tends to just lead to confusion (a lot of people surf with new posts rather than going to each section manually.)

Well, we are 3 guys :) I would not call us a huge corporate company. We are all from a small town in New Mexico and this definitely is not our first rodeo :)
ekool, where in NM are you? As you can tell from my profile, I use Albuquerque as my home for forums, but am living in Rio Rancho.

As long as the option for default TPF skin is left on the table..... e'vrythang is koooool.

When I first saw the forum my gut reaction was ( Ohhh No )we got upgraded. Upgrades always have bugs and those bugs do get worked out so in the end its (Yay).

A few suggestions for the sight upgrade are image auto resize . On a Mondo powered forum I frequent the image is automatically fit, by clicking on it you get full size , a very nice feature in a photography forum.

Subscriber Perks-

The ability to delete any post you have made along with the quotes if any have quoted it. Sometimes we open our big yap and wish to take it out.

The ability to delete an entire thread if we are the thread starter as sometimes a thread runs muck. This also lessons the mods work load.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: For Upgrade Cheers Dead Eye

I'm not sure about image resize .. Quite often we are discussing image quality issues with someone's photos, so when they post their problem photo, having it resized will complicate things. Besides, most browsers already have the option to resize images to fit.

Anyway, I hope the owners don't take this thread as an attack or everyone jumping down their throats.. If people didn't care so much about this forum, you wouldn't see any complaints! :)

A few suggestions for the sight upgrade are image auto resize . On a Mondo powered forum I frequent the image is automatically fit, by clicking on it you get full size , a very nice feature in a photography forum.
I second this suggestion. The feature exists on another photo forum that I frequent and it really rocks.

Thirded on the image resize (Though the removal of the right column would be ideal.)

First detractor to the delete your post and any quotes thing. When you gain the ability to edit what other people have said (which includes them quoting you), you lose accountability for your own comments. Can edit/delete your own comments, not quotes. And definitely not just a subscriber feature.

Honestly, though...95% of the feedback you've been getting is very negative. The old layout wasn't modern or flashy, but it was very, very functional. I'm going to keep giving this layout a try until it is finalized, but in its current state, it will definitely be reverted to the old way.

Honestly, though...95% of the feedback you've been getting is very negative. The old layout wasn't modern or flashy, but it was very, very functional. I'm going to keep giving this layout a try until it is finalized, but in its current state, it will definitely be reverted to the old way.
Non-flashy, that's my cup of tea. The less flashy and less cluttered it is, the happier I am with something.

Also the funny thing is, the old colors are nearly the same as I set my overall windows theme colors to. I have been setting the windows colors to "brick" pretty much since I bought my first computer back in 1995. The red is the same as the top of my windows and the grey matches very well with the sort of tan color of the window borders and my task bar.

I would go as far as, the original colors and layout of this forum that was just switched away from is the nicest and easiest to view forum of any forum I have ever been on. And I'm on a lot of forums. Just off the top of my head I quickly count 17 forums I am currently active or semi active on. There are many more than I am no longer active on. TPF was by far the nicest, cleanest, and easiest on the eyes with the red and grey colors and layout that it use to be.

Auto resize I like the idea of - certainly its a good work around and lets us keep the more relaxed image posting that we currently enjoy.

However I also cannot agree to letting people start deleting their posts and threads. Might be some times you say the wrong thing, best thing to do then is to then say the right thing and admit to being wrong - deleting posts is removing peoples responcibility and accountability for what they say and whilst some people might use is sparingly and wisly I can see it being abused very quickly and badly.
Heck 2 Forums I am on have 10-15minute editing limits on posts - after that you cannot edit posts. It was placed in to stop people changing their words in debates and threads which would lead to long ugly arguments. I don't know if we need this feature here or not - it is handy to be able to edit a post, but most times you don't need to go back and edit a post to change anything but the odd typo or spelling mistake

Guys, we are going to get the auto-resize stuff installed and it will be user configurable from your User CP, that way you can customize it to suit your needs and resolution, or disable it entirely if you don't like it. That's the plan.

Just wanted to post an update, this has been completed. Users have FULL control over it as well. You can change the way the image gets displayed when you click on it (there are at least 12 different modes/choices), you can set the resolution of the image needed to "kick in" the resizing to your liking, or disable it entirely. This is really handy as each user has a different resolution that they run at and not every image resolution will break the layout, so you can tweak to your hearts' content. To change the settings, simply go to your User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options -- And you should see the choices there.

Last edited:
Looks like the changes are coming together. The site is looking good.

Thank you. We have more additions to make but don't want to do everything at once, and as stated we are trying to make sure that you can enable/disable/change all the changes to suit your needs so that way everyone can be happy :)

Guys, we are going to get the auto-resize stuff installed and it will be user configurable from your User CP, that way you can customize it to suit your needs and resolution, or disable it entirely if you don't like it. That's the plan....
Very nice! When I started looking through some threads, I noticed the resize. I thought, hmm, wonder if it could be configured in the UserCP? I was going to ask/suggest and am happy to see this post I quote above. Awesome!

Now if there was only some way to configure it depending on which computer you were on (home vs. work), LOL.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back