Old concrete mill, C&C please :)

shanemono4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Was out shooting the other night with a buddy and took this at a concrete mill by my house

Mill-1.jpg

Very nice job.

Mind sharing your settings for that one?

Excellent job. I like the starburst effect of the light! Was this mounted on a tripod? Props to you if it was handheld :thumbup:

Thank you! No it was shot on a tripod, it was really dark outside haha I believe the shutter speed was around 15 seconds.

edit: wow I was wrong, it was only 3 seconds. :lmao:

Last edited:
Looks good, but I have a few small technical nitpicks.

The horizon isn't level. Also, I would have used a lower ISO and longer shutter speed. Less noise, cleaner detail. Looks like your subject isn't going anywhere any time soon, so longer exposures aren't a problem.

Here's your EXIF Data:

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3000
Image Date: 2010:01:10 06:03:23
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Exposure Time: 3.000 s
Aperture: f/5.0
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: 1.00
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Thanks turbo, how did you pull the exif data from the photo? I was shown once, but I completely forgot.

I also appreciate the advice, I have a hard time with leveling the horizon. I should've bought a tripod with one of those bubble levelers on it haha. As for ISO, I wasn't expecting too much noise with 400, but there is definitely more than I thought :(

I really like this photo, the colors are so vivid it almost looks like HDR! I especially like how the tracks in the snow are accentuated by the angled light. The only issue I can see is the horizon is slightly tilted, as mentioned above. An excellent photo overall, IMO.

Most reactions

Back