Old Singer & Low-Key

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Practiced a little OCF with my grandmother's Singer 1934. I learned how to sew on this machine and brings back memories. So my attachment may be clouding my view of the photos. C&C welcome.

Singer8w by Cheryl3001, on Flickr

2. Does this qualify as low-key?

Singer2w by Cheryl3001, on Flickr

is that a featherweight or a 3/4?

Sounds to me like you know WAY more about sewing machines that a man with your moustache should!

;)

OP: The second is what I would call low-key-esque. Unfortunately, it's more under-exposed than low key. If you can get just a little more light on the business end of the machine and less on the background, you'll be there.

is that a featherweight or a 3/4?

I don't know. It is full size and not very portable. Your post got me thinking and searching the serial number it appears it was made in 1937 and a model 15. Works great! The tension is much better than my new machine.

Does it have a stand under it where a case goes over the machine and attaches to that bottom piece? If so, its a 3/4 machine. If not, its a full size model.
The featherweight is the smallest model, also has the built in case, but unlike the 3/4, the front plate folds up.

OP: The second is what I would call low-key-esque. Unfortunately, it's more under-exposed than low key. If you can get just a little more light on the business end of the machine and less on the background, you'll be there.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try playing with the light. I'm gifting this machine to a relative and was taking photos for sentimental reasons. I got carried away moving the light around. Easier practice than trying to shoot a moving 3yo :)

Does it have a stand under it where a case goes over the machine and attaches to that bottom piece? If so, its a 3/4 machine. If not, its a full size model.
The featherweight is the smallest model, also has the built in case, but unlike the 3/4, the front plate folds up.

It is one very heavy solid unit that is in a sewing cabinet and full size.

do you have it in a treadle? or a regular counter-sunk sewing table? do you still have the coffin top for it?

do you have it in a treadle? or a regular counter-sunk sewing table? do you still have the coffin top for it?

It has a motor so no treadle. There is a foot attached to the under cabinet which is pressed by a lever on the your leg or can be detached and used to operate as a foot pedal. It is in a counter-sunk table. I have a few more photos on Flickr.

I love #1.
#2 not so much - kinda dull composition and underexposed as mentioned above.

I find machines hard to photograph as an entire object. I much prefer getting interesting close-ups like the first shot.
I was in a printing press museum recently and the further back I pulled to try to include more of the printers, the duller the photos seemed.

I love #1.
#2 not so much - kinda dull composition and underexposed as mentioned above.

I find machines hard to photograph as an entire object. I much prefer getting interesting close-ups like the first shot.
I was in a printing press museum recently and the further back I pulled to try to include more of the printers, the duller the photos seemed.

I agree with this. I took about dozen photos of the full machine and after bringing them into Bridge had that same thought. Went back and tried to find different angles/change up the light to find an interesting composition. I'll reshoot to try to get a low-key shot. The difficult part is to not get a glare off of the black finish.

Most reactions

Back