Old style photos

Silkwood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wanting to get that "old style" look in some of my photos, you know, the brown and white look (not b&w)

Can i achieve this look by using Paintshop5.5

Thanks

Jay

I use a Nikon Coolpix 995

I'm not overly familiar with any version of PS, but all you need to find is where you can tone your images, and look for the word: sepia. I think that's the effect your'e after.

Click on the Image menu > Adjust > Hue/Saturation. Check the colorize box. Now to change the color of the tone drag the top slider (hue) left or right to get the desired color. To adjust the amount of color drag the saturation slider left or right.

Since I have never found a sepia command, this is how I do it. In Photoshop 5.5, Open the photo, go to Image, Adjust, Desaturate. Then go to Image, Adjust, Color balance. Add 25 Red, leave magenta/green alone, minus 25 blue. This will give you a sepia color. You can ad/subtract more to get a more or less sepia effect. The boxes with the numbers in them should read...

25 0 -25

Hope that helps.

photogoddess said:
Since I have never found a sepia command, this is how I do it. In Photoshop 5.5, Open the photo, go to Image, Adjust, Desaturate. Then go to Image, Adjust, Color balance. Add 25 Red, leave magenta/green alone, minus 25 blue. This will give you a sepia color. You can ad/subtract more to get a more or less sepia effect. The boxes with the numbers in them should read...

25 0 -25

Hope that helps.
It's not really a command. it's under the action tab. And it does basically what I explained.

and yet another way, i've always understood this to be 'proper' way to get sepia tones from photoshop from a print expert:

image->mode->grayscale
then
image->mode->duotone

experiment around with 2 colours, basically you'd leave one colour black and choose a brownish tint for the other. The colours you select from are all pantone which means that they can be matched for printing.

remember, when you convert to greyscale, you'll lose alot of colour info but it still can retains about 65 millions shades of grey.

hope that helps!

the last two b&w pics in this thread use this process, though i subdued the browns slightly:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4459

I know this isn't going to help any of yall too much, but i just found an amazing function for this in the gimp. it has an old photo option (to get to it right click-> scriptfu ->decor -> old photo and you get the following options. defocus, border, sepia, mottle, work on copy and here are the results:

bagpipes.jpg

bagpipes_old.jpg

Especially since photoshop hasn't been ported over to linux yet. I don't really know the gimp or PS that well so i don't know well they compare to each other, but as far as basic photo editing the gimp can handle it.

Most reactions

Back