Olympus OM10 - Shutter speed not working

CannedWater

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there,

I recently picked up a few old cameras for a reasonable price, and one of which is an Oly OM10 with suspected problems. I have had a look at it and I have found that the shutter speed doesn't seem to be working.

I would also like to note that the battery is new, and it is not a sticky magnet problem, rather the electromagnet won't release at all. The manual adapter also seems to be ineffective and this issue is present on auto, manual and bulb. I would also like to note that I believe this model OM10 is a later one that was built to overcome the sticky electromagnet issue, which is why the location of the electromagnet is different to other common examples online.

I will attach a clip of the issue below. The viewfinder constantly displays a shutter speed of 1 second, but in reality, seems to be operating at an infinite amount of time as the mirror locks up and won't release. I located the electromagnet on the camera and found that releasing it will free up the mirror. This is not a sticky issue as I cleaned the contacts, and I can seem the magnet engage when I wind the Film advance lever.

I also checked the ASA dial by taking the top cover off, and messed around with the lever on the bottom plate, but no luck and all seems working fine. It seems like a metering issue perhaps? Its as if the camera thinks it needs a shutter speed of one year. I'm not sure why this might be the case, and maybe it's just kaput? If anyone has any advice that would be great as it would be nice to revive this old camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_132448.jpg
    IMG_20200927_132448.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20200927_132248.jpg
    IMG_20200927_132248.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 264
Last edited:
I did some reading up on the Metering system for the OM10, and I'm not 100% sure how it works. In the event that there are two systems and one happens to be in the viewfinder, there is a noticeable burn mark inside the viewfinder. Ill attach an image here. This is not visible on the mirror or the plastic panel(?) above it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_141529.jpg
    IMG_20200927_141529.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 250
It's hard to tell, but it looks like the trigger switch, just below the electromagnet, isn't opening properly. This switch tells the circuit when to begin timing, and if it doesn't open and close properly, it will (at best) affect the camera's high speeds, or at worst, keep the shutter open like this. Why it may not be operating properly (if that is, in fact, the problem) is hard to describe -- there are so many possibilities, describing how it should work and why it may not, would take pages of text!

As far as the dark mark in the finder, it looks to me like the prism is developing a flaw. If that is the fault, it shouldn't affect the images, but replacement will require lifting the main circuit flex aside and installing a prism harvested from a donor body (1,2,10 all use the same prism).

Hello there,

I would also like to note that the battery is new, and it is not a sticky magnet problem, rather the electromagnet won't release at all. The manual adapter also seems to be ineffective and this issue is present on auto, manual and bulb. I would also like to note that I believe this model OM10 is a later one that was built to overcome the sticky electromagnet issue, which is why the location of the electromagnet is different to other common examples online.

If it's a "new"style 10 (serial number over 2 mil) then it probably has a jammed trigger switch, usually from impact. Have not worked on one in years (no one sends them in), though I did subcontract for Olympus on these. Trigger switch is near the front of the circuit board, under the mirror, looks like a nylon post pushing on fine gold wires.

Sorry, last response did not go through. If it's a "newer" OM-10 (above 2 mil serial number) this sounds like a jammed trigger switch, common with impacted bodies. Have not done a 10 in a long time, though I did subcontract for Olympus on these. trigger switch looks like a nylon post pushing on fine gold spring wires.

Most reactions

Back