One umbrella, one gel, one reflector, girl's portrait

wonderful picture.

thank you for posting your set up for this, it was very informative as well as the reasons you did things the way you did. I learned a lot about from this one thread today.

Very cool Derrel. Thank you for posting the diagram. That is a lot of information there to learn from (and I've got a lot of learning to do). Stupid question: the background color is just from a gel rather than a colored background? Why a gray background rather than white if you are going to project a color onto it?

Well, they HAD A BIG, wall-mounted projection screen for their projection television setup right THERE, already pulled down!!! So...rather than set up my OWN backdrop stands and crossbar, I left those in the back of my vehicle and used THEIR background, and it was light gray!!! So, it was a matter of convenience, and expedience...they already had a PERFECTLY SMOOTH, LOVELY very light,almost grayish backdrop screen right there on the liviing room's back wall! DOAH!!!!! How handy is THAT!?

In close confines like this, blasting a gel onto a WHITE screen means more chance of blow-back or "wrap"; in a confined shooting area, using a white background and a lighter colored gel means a LOT MORE light is reflected, and the color of the gel looks lighter in the photos; on gray, the color will be a bit more-saturated; when aiming the same light,m same gel, same Watt-seconds of flash power at a black screen, the color of the backdrop in the photo will be darker, more-saturated pink.

Same goes with other gels: take the same gel, same light unit, same flash power, same light positioning, same camera settings, and then 1) aim it at a white seamless, 2) then a thunder gray seamless, then 3) black seamless paper, and there will be three, significantly-different densities of background color. Assuming that ALL other variables are kept constant. Speedotron Brown line lights do NOT have the power-adjustment capabilities that my Black Line power packs have--they have NO variable, dial-down power. In close-confines like this smallish living room, shooting a gel onto a pure white paper leads to a LOT of "blow-back", and can, and often does, create a colored bit of light that actually comes back and hits the subjects hair and shoulders. THis can look neat...or horrible. Less-reflective material, like black velvet or black felt, ABSORBS MOST of the light that hits it, and does NOT send gel-colored light all over the shooting area. Gray is somewhere in-between.

If you want to get a REALLY deep, saturated background using any of the "pastel gels", like yellow, or pink, or baby blue, then Brown Line lights and packs are a terrible choice when shooting onto WHITE backgrounds. The relationship between the background light's REFLECTED LIGHT reading at the subject's BACK-of-the head in relation to the INCIDENT LIGHT METER exposure of the person, determines the exact background density or "color". Brown Line packs do not allow a huge variety of flash power output, so, in a real,practical sense, I seldom EVER want to shoot colored gels at a pure-white screen if I am lighting the backdrop with a Brown Line head....I will instead use my 405 or 805 Black Line packs to give a teensie-tiny say 25 Watt-second or 50 Watt-second squirt of flash,and then have that paired up with 200 to 600 Watt-seconds of main light.

Here is an on-line page showing and talking about Chromazones, the old Dean Collins term for this use of gels, and how to precisely MEASURE,and predict the EXACT DENSITY of a background, by using a professional light meter that can read both reflected light AND incident light. TOny Corbell's book on basic studio lighting covers this subject, somewhat briefly, but well. Basic Studio Lighting: The Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional ... - Tony L. Corbell - Google Books

Hey Derrel,

Thanks for your kind and detailed response. I truly appreciate it.

Desi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back