Online photography workshops?

My personal opinion, and some experience with them is that fro basics/fundamentals your best source is YouTube, particularly the BH camera lectures, and Adorama lectures. BH lectures are usually full hour or more and tend to be in depth wiht very good people doing the explaining. Adorama vids are shorter bite-sized, and generally have good lecturers...not always though. Once you get the fundamentas down and you want to concentrate on one area off photography then it is time to look at the complete courses offered. CreativeLive has some good ones (always wait for their sales before purchasing though...you'll save a bunch of $$$). Scroll through their offerings to get an idea, and then search around for others covering the same stuff you are interested in. I will give a thumbs up for one course on line that I thinkk actually is useful fro a beginner. The John Greengo 'Fundamentals of Photography' course on CreateLive. Some, but not much crappola. Worth the money for somone cramped for time or whatever. Down;oad the series and play them at leisure whever you are.

Please don't over look the obvious. Costa Rica has some outstanding public libraries. Check out the photography section at your nearest library. One big advantage to old school reading is you can take the book with you when you try out the various lessons. Much easier than trying to watch a video, or piece of a video in the middle of nowhere with no wifi connection.

Thanks everyone for input. I will take a look at all of them to see which ones could help. I already have a good grasp on the exposure triangle, so I think that my next learning step is about composition and lightning. I live in the capital city, so no issues in terms of Internet connections and I am more of a visual learner than reading stuff. You might be surprised, but we don't really use libraries anymore as everyone gets the reading from the net, we actually have a good internet availability in the country, though speeds are not near as good as some other places in the US. I believe the last info was an average of 2MB, but in cities it goes around 5-8MB.

Not surprising, but sad that libraries aren't used as much. Many of the best resources aren't available on the net as a resource unless you find a ripped off version. Things like the Bryan Peterson series, Light Science & Magic, Chasing the light or The Photographers Eye just to name a few.

My personal opinion, and some experience with them is that fro basics/fundamentals your best source is YouTube, particularly the BH camera lectures, and Adorama lectures. BH lectures are usually full hour or more and tend to be in depth wiht very good people doing the explaining. Adorama vids are shorter bite-sized, and generally have good lecturers...not always though. Once you get the fundamentas down and you want to concentrate on one area off photography then it is time to look at the complete courses offered. CreativeLive has some good ones (always wait for their sales before purchasing though...you'll save a bunch of $$$). Scroll through their offerings to get an idea, and then search around for others covering the same stuff you are interested in. I will give a thumbs up for one course on line that I thinkk actually is useful fro a beginner. The John Greengo 'Fundamentals of Photography' course on CreateLive. Some, but not much crappola. Worth the money for somone cramped for time or whatever. Down;oad the series and play them at leisure whever you are.
Very good people as opposed to the bad people on other videos. :)

I do have HB and Adorama channels added in Youtube. Indeed the ones from HB are very good.

Avengerx77 said:
Thanks everyone for input. I will take a look at all of them to see which ones could help. I already have a good grasp on the exposure triangle, so I think that my next learning step is about composition and lightning. I live in the capital city, so no issues in terms of Internet connections and I am more of a visual learner than reading stuff. You might be surprised, but we don't really use libraries anymore as everyone gets the reading from the net, we actually have a good internet availability in the country, though speeds are not near as good as some other places in the US. I believe the last info was an average of 2MB, but in cities it goes around 5-8MB.

A huge mistake. A mistake so large it is difficult to put into words.

BOOKS cost serious money to make, and have been vetted, edited, and carefully crafted.

Go ahead and watch all the videos you'd like to, as long as they are from the better 10 percent of the video producers on YouTube. Keep in mind, YouTube is mostly people who know a little bit about a subject, pretending that they know what they are talking about. There are thousands of people who offer tutorials on lighting, and videos on composing--but they are terribly uneducated, often self-taught, and they show horrible, horrible practices, and mediocre example photos.

Look into some books. Books written by people who actually know what they are talking about, based on years and years of experience, and written and edited by people who actually KNOW what they are talking about.

Any books you recommend? I know that grypho mentioned some that I would look at. As I said, they might need to be for online reading or at least available to purchase maybe via Amazon. I doubt I will be able to find them in the public library, especially if they are written in English :icon_biggrin:

Avengerx77 said:

BOOKS cost serious money to make, and have been vetted, edited, and carefully crafted.

Go ahead and watch all the videos you'd like to, as long as they are from the better 10 percent of the video producers on YouTube. Keep in mind, YouTube is mostly people who know a little bit about a subject, pretending that they know what they are talking about. There are thousands of people who offer tutorials on lighting, and videos on composing--but they are terribly uneducated, often self-taught, and they show horrible, horrible practices, and mediocre example photos.

Look into some books. Books written by people who actually know what they are talking about, based on years and years of experience, and written and edited by people who actually KNOW what they are talking about.

:thumbyo::thumbyo::thumbyo: Agree with Derrel here! There are some very good tutorials on Youtube. That said it is also probably correct to say that Youtube is the largest single repository of misinformation that the human race has ever compiled. Photography is one of the hotter topics for total BS. So if you're a beginner how do you know if you've found a good one? The internet is a wonderful resource but it's double edged; any idiot with a cell phone camera becomes an instant expert.

Derrel makes a good point: If you have to spend some real $$$$ to take a book to press at least there's better odds someone checked it over first. (Except steer clear of those B. Peterson books -- full of rubbish).

Joe

I find the Langford's Basic Photography Guide for the serious photographers a great choice as a starting book and you can easily find it on amazon :) enjoy

Avengerx77 said:

:thumbyo::thumbyo::thumbyo: Agree with Derrel here! There are some very good tutorials on Youtube. That said it is also probably correct to say that Youtube is the largest single repository of misinformation that the human race has ever compiled. Photography is one of the hotter topics for total BS. So if you're a beginner how do you know if you've found a good one? The internet is a wonderful resource but it's double edged; any idiot with a cell phone camera becomes an instant expert.

Derrel makes a good point: If you have to spend some real $$$$ to take a book to press at least there's better odds someone checked it over first. (Except steer clear of those B. Peterson books -- full of rubbish).

Joe
I don't know, Facebook can probably give it a run for it's money on misinformation.

Youtube is the largest single repository of misinformation that the human race has ever compiled.

Joe
All they have to do now is organize it into some logical sequence so people can learn from the ground up - step a, b, c, d,e, f, g, instead of a spray and ray approach - step y, e, u, j, r, q, d.

Avengerx77 said:
Any books you recommend? I know that grypho mentioned some that I would look at. As I said, they might need to be for online reading or at least available to purchase maybe via Amazon. I doubt I will be able to find them in the public library, especially if they are written in English :icon_biggrin:

I like the many John Hedgecoe photography books. These are available on-line, used, for as little as 1 cent with $3.88 shipping...he wrote over 30 books. Typically with 750 to 1,000 small illustrations, diagrams, charts, and comparison photos. These are books about photography, and they are designed to TEACH the student how to see light, find light, and how to position the camera the right way in relation to light. THese are not modern, digital imaging recipe books, about "How to retouch portrait skin so the subject looks like a store mannequin." These are NOT , "Here is my digital workflow!"

These books have a framework, chapter-by-chapter lessons, and hundreds (literally hundreds) of diagrams. These books will tell you what it is that you don't know, and in that way, will guide you in searching for YouTube videos, and for other learning resources. It is the overall framework, the scope of the art of photography, that these books will lay out for you.

Here is one that has 399 pages. http://www.amazon.com/The-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back