opinions on macro lenses

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
looking to pickup a macro lens, had the Nikon 60mm AF-d 2.8 lens a while ago and I liked it. that is a contender

thinking of these.

Nikon 60mm af-d 2.8 macro
tamron 90mm macro
tokina 100mm macro
sigma 150mm macro non OS

now I know having something in the 100 mm range is better for working with bugs, and the sigma 150 would be really great and that's a positive. but the negative is the price of the sigma 150 at around 500 for a used one. also the increase focal distance really makes getting enough DOF hard, that is one reason I like the idea of the 60mm macro, although you have to get very close to the subject to get 1:1 reproduction, im thinking the DOF will not be as extreme as the 100 or 150 at similar aperture values.

tell me what you think.

I've got the Tokina 100mm. I'm quite impressed with its sharpness and really have nothing to complain about.

I haven't used the others, but while I was looking for a macro lens I was also looking at that Sigma lens that you mentioned. I ended up going with the Tokina because there was a used one in my area and it worked out to be A LOT cheaper. I can't help but feel that that 150mm would have come in handy for taking pictures of bugs that fly away when you get too close with a camera lens.

Buy used young grasshopper! I picked up the Nikkor 105mm f2.8D for ~$400 off of Craig's List a couple of years ago.

Depends on what you are shooting...

60mm is fine for objects... but will scare bugs, and will make lighting more difficult since it is so close to the subject.

90mm up is better for bugs, lighting, etc...

just the lighting issue would make me pick 90mm up... since lighting is SO important....

I recently bought the Tamron 180 and have fallen in utter love with it. Although I must admit to feeling sorry for my lonely Sigma 50 recently as it has sat on it's own in my bag. I spent months scratching my head between the Sigma 150 and Tamron 180, in the end price and the additional 30mm won me out. But be warned they are heavy pair of lens's that will really start testing your arms after a while. DOF on the longer lenses can be a real hardship at the beginning but like all things practice makes perfect (I'm still practicing).

Good luck

I guess the price is a big thing swaying me right now. I just dont think im going to use it enough to justify spending $500+ on one. That's why the 60mm is so attractive at around $225.

I do like the idea of that tamron 180, that could really be useful even for wildlife head shots. I have had times where i was lucky enough to get within 10 feet of wild birds and just too close for my 500mm f4, also another reason why size and weight are not really an issue, as im used to much larger lens i use may times a week handheld.

180mm with a 1:1 reproduction is tempting, maybe i will start saving. I will be using it on FF so even 100mm maybe a little short

I guess the price is a big thing swaying me right now. I just dont think im going to use it enough to justify spending $500+ on one. That's why the 60mm is so attractive at around $225.

I do like the idea of that tamron 180, that could really be useful even for wildlife head shots. I have had times where i was lucky enough to get within 10 feet of wild birds and just too close for my 500mm f4, also another reason why size and weight are not really an issue, as im used to much larger lens i use may times a week handheld.

180mm with a 1:1 reproduction is tempting, maybe i will start saving. I will be using it on FF so even 100mm maybe a little short

You can usually find the Tamron 90 for around <$300. They are nice... Robin Usagani has one... and gets some great shots with it.

Used Tamron 90's are plentiful and affordable...heck, even I have one. Nice length, lightweight. The Nikon 60 is nice, very solidly made, but it is a bit shorter than I like. I seldom use mine as a macro. I had a Sigma 180 EX f/3.5...it was a handy length. The Sigma 150 was popular in parts of Asia as a fashion/beauty lens; I think it has a LOVELY, lovely bokeh characteristic, and that it makes "pretty" images. Some lenses have ugly, clinical looks (my Canon 100mm f/2.8 EX Macro for example, is an ugly imager), but the Sigma 150, the pre-OS, has a lovely look to its images. I was all stoked to buy one several years ago, and looked at tons of on-line images from the 150 Siggy...the glamour/portrait guys in Malaysia for example, they LOVED that lens. It's just long enough to star giving good background blue and also flattening the apparent perspective a bit, and it's also long enough to start magnifying the background object size in relation to foreground object size, so it's JUST starting to give "that telephoto look". I also like the way the long F.L. narrows the angle of view behind a close subject.

I'm not familiar with the Tokina's look, but I've read that it's sharp, so there is that.

Depth of field in close-up work is more a function of image reproduction size than focal length, so, do not let a longer lens worry you.

Thanks Derrel that was very helpful.

Does anyone know if the 150 sigma or 180 tamron work with a tc specifically the tc14e when modified by removing the non ai lens tab

I just bought a Macro lens the Nikon 60mm 2.8G.
Just like you I was looking for its older sibling the 2.8D as its a very good capable lens but the avarage price that I found was over 300$ so since it was very close to the G version in price I decided to get the G.
I bought it about a week and a half ago for 390$, its fantasticaly sharp both in Macro and regular use, its a great portrait lens for a crop sensor camera.
The relatively small focal length is indeed a bit of a draw back if you shoot bugs but other then that its a wonderful lens.
I was debating if to get it or an other longer lens but decided to get it and I am glad I did, for my needs it perfect, a longer focal length Macro lens will mean I can use it for Macro and MAcro alone while I wanted a lens I can use for various needs and it does that with flying colours.

Buy used young grasshopper! I picked up the Nikkor 105mm f2.8D for ~$400 off of Craig's List a couple of years ago.

I will second this. I picked up my 105mm 2.8D used for about 475 a couple years ago.

Regards,
Jake

The Tokina 100mm cost me $300 used ...

thanks for all the comments, I have been leaning towards the sigma 150mm non OS right now. seems like a good option

Most reactions

New Topics

Back