Orange

Great idea, not so great focus or composition. Much of the drama is lost in the dead space.

Great idea, not so great focus or composition. Much of the drama is lost in the dead space.

I struggled to sharply focus on this, as I wanted to accentuate the "veins" inside the orange. I also opted for a bit of dead space so it looked as if it was floating in space. Could you elaborate on what you mean with that? My photos are OK to edit if you would be willing to try out a different crop.

Very cool perspective of an orange, didn't recognize it as such. First, I agree that less dead space would help. I would try a much longer, narrower crop.

Second, hwo did you get the highlights in the orange? Lighting setup? Post?

The highlights on the orange don't show up in the reflection... looks odd...

Neat idea though..

Very cool perspective of an orange, didn't recognize it as such. First, I agree that less dead space would help. I would try a much longer, narrower crop.

Second, hwo did you get the highlights in the orange? Lighting setup? Post?

Would you mind cropping it and posting it here? I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean.

The highlights on the orange don't show up in the reflection... looks odd...

Neat idea though..

Now that I look at it, it does look a bit odd. Some dodging will do it justice.

Thanks!

I used a square crop on a round, nearly centered object. This helped to reduce the dead space. I also added two layer masked with graduated filter white to transparent on both sides of the orange with quite low opacities to brighten the "glow" effect. Last thing was to clone out the hot spot at 40% opacity on the reflected part. It would really help if you made your files larger..hard to edit a 500mp wide image.

$orange.jpg

Standard 2:3 crop vertical.

Untitled-1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

So how far did you go with peeling the orange? Did you remove the membrane around each slice to get the detail or did you just light through it?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back