Organizing digital photos and videos

MsMystie3K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi! I apologize if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find any threads answering my specific question, which is: When transferring photos and videos from cards or phone to storage (external drive, etc.) should you store still photos in separate files from videos? Would there be any benefit or would I just be making extra work for myself and also making my organization system more tedious? Thanks, I appreciate any input!

Well in my amateur opinion (if you want it) I would separate them so that I could find what I want more easily. You could subdivide the folders into various categories such as architecture, art, still life, people, traffic, etc. That way you could go to the particular folder that deals with whatever picture you're looking for and you won't have to scan through hundreds or possibly thousands of photos to find the single one you want. Just my two cents although I'm new so what do I know? :1247:

Hi! I apologize if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find any threads answering my specific question, which is: When transferring photos and videos from cards or phone to storage (external drive, etc.) should you store still photos in separate files from videos? Would there be any benefit or would I just be making extra work for myself and also making my organization system more tedious? Thanks, I appreciate any input!

I'd store videos seperately personally. Don't have any real good reson for it but it makes more sense to me that way.

You are quite welcome. Shame none of the more experienced users bothered to answer.

Patience is a virtue.

I put all images and videos that come off the memory card from the camera in a folder by date and that folder is inside a main folder called Archive. Those are the original images and they are not altered. Later, any of those images that are processed and prepared as a final product go into a folder inside a main folder called Developed.

So, I may have 10 original videos in different dated folders inside the Archive folder, but then those may come out as one or two videos inside a folder with the job name in the Developed folder.

I can tell from the developed file name where the original files are that were used to create the new file.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the input.

I like to create a Macintosh "alias" in the folder where the still images are, but pull the videos out, separate. Videos are not stills, and are for me, far,far fewer in number, so I prefer to keep them separate. I think toward the future,not the immediate present, when archiving camera data.

Most reactions

Back