"original" vs edited

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
While the discussion of original vs edited will go on forever, let's celebrate each of our unique post processing styles and techniques.

Here's a few of the photos I shot recently with the "original" right-out-of camera vs processed versions and I invite everyone to share theirs.

Original exposure
DSC_3523_zpsa4b9d8db.jpg

HDR with Photomatix Pro (multiple exposures)
06_1_zpsaba32a57.jpg

Manually composed HDR with 3 exposures using photoshop.
06_zps13211d99.jpg

*going to read that discussion...

I like these pictures. OP are you going to drag me to the "HDR hole" again?:wink: I haven't used HDR for a long time but I have some piictures I processed with CaptureOne unfortunaly I don't have them with me now because I'm on my work.

Have you tried the same shots with something like a 2 or 3 stop graduated filter? This would block out some of the intense light from the sun/sky but allow more light on the bottom half of the photo aka foreground.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Nominated for POTM.. love how that 3rd one turned out. :)

_EDIT_

I meant the second one.. maths is tough!

Last edited:
Prefer the 3rd one as well.
As shot or processed? Processed every time. Even if I can get it right in camera still like to improve it. (That's what I call it)

#2 > #3 x 10.

#2 is fantastic!!! I like the idea of using a filter to "calm down" the sun a bit.

Here's one of my recent photos.

ORIGINAL:

$original.jpg

EDITED:

14980311745_3f9ff69a79_o.jpg

Joe

It's all my fault. Sorry! [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original (central (0) of five exposures):

HDR Processed from 5 separate exposures:
Swept Underfoot by f_one_eight, on Flickr

SOOC:

Edited:
Larval Mantis Shrimp (Squilla empusa) by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Original (median (0) of five exposures:

HDR'd, Lightroom'd, Silver Efex'd:
The Island by f_one_eight, on Flickr

I've found that HDR is immensely useful in waterfall/river situations. But not all images I take need excessive editing. The shot below is almost the same as the SOOC shot. Some just come out of the camera looking... beautiful.

SOOC:

Final:
Backlit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

I went the OPPOSITE direction from Ysarex! I started off wayyyy bright....

157062740.jpg

[ D3X_6522_Randi.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com ]

I wanted to knock out the background and make this look kind of like a "studio" shot, so I overexposed pretty heavily. In post, I often do my portraits in monochrome variations or split-tone looks.
157062883.jpg

[ http://www.pbase.com/derrel/image/157062883 ]

I decided to go with a very cold-tone B&W look for the final image on this frame. This is optimized for her target audience, which will be viewing these on smartphones.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back