Otter Photoshop!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well sometimes editing is easy and other times I just feel really lost in it all - and lost is what I am now. Edited this shot twice now to two slightly different effects and really can't tell which I prefer:

a
3230017136_cd41315656.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3484/3230017136_c6a9010cff_o.jpg

b
3230017142_a0944cae7a.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/3230017142_0845cd7e19_o.jpg

So anyone got some input on these two edits? Ideas as to which is the better and any modifications people might try would be appreciated

Last edited:
unfortunatly the difference is minor - if you save them to your computer and flick between the two images its easier to see the differnce - online like this they do look too similar to tell apart

LOOKS LI, whoops that always happens when I come back from photoshop - some will know why. So it looks like your used some shadow/highlight and sharpening.. maybe oversaturated it a bit after a few curves?

I wonder if a slightly larger aperture would have diffused the somewhat distracting (interesting) reflection...

Here is a different take on the saturation, levels, and with a blend of layers ultimately brushed together in a minute or so. -S

IMG_0239c.jpg

I rather like that edit - looks like you added more saturation into the ground and otter area whilst leaving the reflection untouched. Chances are a wider aperture might have lost the reflection though I think it would still have been there to a greater or lesser extent.

For the original I applied a single contrast mask (essentailly shadows and highlights) and then the second I applied another conrast mask which was set to affect the foreground and only affect the water a tiny bit (50% ish with a layer brush)

Actually I ran the typical S curve with a slight bias towards the bottom (darks), then desaturated until my eye said stop, that is grass. Then I used an oval patch of your plan B and turned that layer down a touch to blend into my take on the levels.

I think more bokeh would be nice on that reflection and give the subject more weight, but I sure can't pull past 200mm f/2.8... Oh I see you have an 1.4x on there..

-Shea

I think you have gone way past what I understand about curves in that. S curve I can make a guess at but the other part you have lost me a bit.

And yes a 1.4TC is on the lens - for wildlife in zoos and such I find that the extra 1.4 to focal length does help and f4 is not a bad max aperture (especailly on such a bright day!)

The shot is RAW so its tricky to post an untouched version online *unlit photobucket accept raws ;)* I can post a version with no edits save my RAW processing though - of course any error in my RAW processing will still be present

The shot is RAW so its tricky to post an untouched version online *unlit photobucket accept raws ;)* I can post a version with no edits save my RAW processing though - of course any error in my RAW processing will still be present

If you want others to play with the raw file, you can upload it to Yousendit and post the link here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back