Out of the game for a while. Looking to upgrade. Help?

Justin TW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there! First time posting here and looking for a bit of help. I have been away from photography for a good couple years now and I'm finding my way back to it. I have been doing some research and I think its time to upgrade my now older gear. I currently have a Nikon D300s and even though I love it, I think its a little "outdated" comparatively speaking. I would love to upgrade to a full frame sensor but also would prefer not to break the bank, mainly because photography isn't my job its just a hobby that I love. So unfortunately I can't justify spending an arm and a leg on something like a D5 or anything that pricey. Would anyone have some good suggestions? I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice!

Thank you in advance! Take care!

Justin

Hey there! First time posting here and looking for a bit of help. I have been away from photography for a good couple years now and I'm finding my way back to it. I have been doing some research and I think its time to upgrade my now older gear. I currently have a Nikon D300s and even though I love it, I think its a little "outdated" comparatively speaking. I would love to upgrade to a full frame sensor but also would prefer not to break the bank, mainly because photography isn't my job its just a hobby that I love. So unfortunately I can't justify spending an arm and a leg on something like a D5 or anything that pricey. Would anyone have some good suggestions? I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice!

Justin

A7

Justin

A7

Yeah I have been kind of looking at the Sony's. I hear they are pretty darn good too. The only thing I'm concerned about is that I do have a few Nikon lenses that I have collected over the years. Is it hard to get them to work on the Sony?

Thanks!

What's your budget and what kind of photography do you do?

My budget would probably be around $2,000 (CAD) if a little above that that's totally alright. Just kind of looking for the best bang for my buck. I would even be alright buying used if the condition and price is right.

I would like to get into more portrait photography. But I would consider myself more of an all around photographer. Landscapes, sports, street shooting etc... I've done weddings in the past but would really like to avoid them haha.

Thanks!

My budget would probably be around $2,000 (CAD) if a little above that that's totally alright. Just kind of looking for the best bang for my buck. I would even be alright buying used if the condition and price is right.

I would like to get into more portrait photography. But I would consider myself more of an all around photographer. Landscapes, sports, street shooting etc... I've done weddings in the past but would really like to avoid them haha.

Thanks!

Sorry, one more question...haha. Are the lenses you have DX or FX?

Thanks!

Sorry, one more question...haha. Are the lenses you have DX or FX?

Haha no worries! I have:

-Nikon AF 50mm 1.8 D
-Sigma 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 DC D
-Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO DG HSM

I do have a cheap stock kit lens that came with my first Nikon film camera but I don't ever really use it haha

Id suggest

If you can take the hit of 2fps have a look at a bargain d7200 for less than 1000 and upgrade your 18-50 with maybe a sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS.

You get 6fps, 24 mp and about 2 stops of dynamic range plus better high iso.

I'd doubt you'd be disappointed, the body though is more everyday than the pro body of the d300.

Id suggest

If you can take the hit of 2fps have a look at a bargain d7200 for less than 1000 and upgrade your 18-50 with maybe a sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS.

You get 6fps, 24 mp and about 2 stops of dynamic range plus better high iso.

I'd doubt you'd be disappointed, the body though is more everyday than the pro body of the d300.

Thanks for the info Jaomul! I'll do a bit of research into the D7200 and see if its for me.

I very strongly agree with the D750 suggestion. There are some excellent deals out there - both new and used. 2 of your 3 lenses are FX and would be great on the 750. You would only lose the Sigma 18-50. There is no reason to stay with a DX body.

A D800/D810 is going to be a more familiar body coming from a D300.

I'd buy a used D800 body. It has a similar quality to the D300 bodies. Round eyepiece. Robust build. Nikon's top-tier AF module in the D800 as well. Really reasonable prices now.

Shop around for a new D7200. They're going for around C$1000. Works with manual Ai/AiS and AFD and later AFS lenses. Hits a value sweet spot for price/image quality--an excellent all-rounder.

You just missed the holiday rebate on the FX D750 + 24-120 for about $1,950 USD.
I think it is $300 higher now. :apologetic:

Or a D7200 or D7500 if you want to stay with DX.

Most reactions

Back