outdoor photoshoot

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
for portraits/family pictures...

When is the best time?

I remember hearing an hour or so before sunset?

What would you suggest?

A lot depends on the type of look you want to achieve, when you can get everyone together, the geography of the area (ie: If it's a park with a lot of deep valleys and tall trees, early morning might not be the best time).

My personal favorite light is usually about an hour or so after sunrise, but you might have difficulty getting everyone together at that time. I would suggest closer to sunset as the most suitable; everyone will be up, hopefully wide awake, and the light is usually fairly nice. Remember that depending on local conditions and your orientation relative to the sun, you may well need reflectors and/or fill light.

Any time.

But you need to avoid direct sunlight during mid-day. Use un-dappled, open shade instead at mid-day.

If you have the right gear, a large enough diffuser, a way to suspend it over your subject(s), and modified supplimental lighting you can make your own open shade anywhere you want it.

The light in the first and last hour of the day is not as blue and not as harsh as mid-day light because it has to go through about 3 times more atmosphere to reach your subject.

With supplimental lighting, very dramatic portraits can be made both before and after sunrise/sunset.

Like tirediron I prefer morning light. The atmosphere tends to be less turbulent and there is less particulate matter floating around in it making it a touch bluer than the light at sunset.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back