Overdone Retouch?

First, thank you all for the input. I have been going back and forth between horizontal and vertical orientation while doing headshots. Not sure which I like more. And yes, I did apply the softening to the whole image and then inverted the application with a mask. I then brushed the texture back into the image. I probably did not do it even enough while brushing it back in. Also, I will experiment with lowering the main light and try to bring the highlights on the forehead under control a bit more.

For me, the least favorite thing to do is edit a picture, because I'm sooooooo slow at it. A skill set I'm trying to work on, but it is not fun for me at this point.

Also, Braneack, I'm not sure why the earings are sharp given that I applied the effect globally and then brushed back in the detail. I did not notice that. I'll go back and check the mask on that image.

Again, Thanks all for the input.

For me, the least favorite thing to do is edit a picture, because I'm sooooooo slow at it. A skill set I'm trying to work on, but it is not fun for me at this point.
You have my sympathy for your displeasure and the amount of time you spend on editing, but now I wonder why do you think you need to do so much?

In other words; why not take minimalist approach to editing? Your life could be relatively stress-free if all you did was the bare minimum of editing. Make it easy on yourself. :victorious:

Also, I will experiment with lowering the main light and try to bring the highlights on the forehead under control a bit more.
I really hope you take our suggestions to heart. @Derrel worked for many years doing portraiture professionally, and if there is one thing that is nearly universal in doing portraiture, it is having the frame compliment the subject. Since most people are standing or sitting upright, a single portrait will naturally be more vertical than horizontal. This should not be something you need to "go back and forth between". With experience, turning your camera to vertical format (portrait format, as Derrel has said) will become second nature, and you won't even have to think about it.

As to my suggestion about lighting, you shouldn't need to "experiment" with it, either. In nearly all books and resources about portraiture, having a flat lighting scheme is very flattering to women who have learned how to adopt a few small wrinkles in their skin. For men, you would do practically the opposite.

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

If your subject is taller than it is wide, then you should probably orient the camera in its vertical orientation. In a single person portrait, almost invariably if the person is seated or standing, then their body will be shown in a "tall" way. At times a person will be shown in a wide way, such as when they are laying down on the floor or beach or ground, or are seated with their legs extended, and in such cases a horizontal frame will be used because the subject is literally wider than it is tall.

Thank you both for the critique. I understand about the framing vertically. When It comes to headshots I had been going back and forth between shooting vertically or horizontally and then cropping the horizontal shot as a square format. When I posted the sample I didn't think about posting the square version. I am including that now.

As far as taking a minimalist approach, I guess I have not thought through what that actually should cover. Off the top of my had I think that would be basics: sharpening, contrast etc...Level 2: Eye enhancement, teeth whitening and large blemishes. Not sure if this is on the right track or not. I'll have to think through this a little more.

Flat lighting, well, that is what I was attempting to do, but it appears I had the light a little too high. I guess the catchlights will be straight on at the pupil height instead of at the top part of the iris.
2019-1006-0111­­_28-AboodFamilyHeadshots_DxO_DxO.jpg

This is a better look, but the problem really was the original camera orientation ...she needs more space above her head, whichyou could do by making an enlarged canvas and filling in the newly-created area with black, but this is not always an option .

Also she is wearing both a necklace and a scoop front top and the necklace and the top echo one another, but the horizontal camera orientation at the time of shooting caused you to cut into the rounded part of her scooped neckline, which is a slight distraction. Had both the neckline and the necklace been shown in their entirety ,the echo visually of the necklace and the neckline would make this a somewhat stronger picture. Also this is a formal portrait, and there are a couple of other rules you have not followed.

As far as the catchlights go, I thought your original idea was fine, and lighting the mask of the face but allowing the under -chin areas and the neck to go dark makes the face stand-out somewhat more ,and I think your original main light height was fine.

Last edited:
The edges of the frame tend to pull the eye. When one does a formal portrait, it is necessary to build a quote base. Typically this is the shoulders or torso of the person, and everything above is built upon the base. The problem here is that you have a lot of skin at the base and have cut into the scoop of her neckline, and this cut-in occurs right at the bottom edge of the portrait, which creates a slight visual tension. Also at the top of the frame there is not enough topspace, and she appears to be squished into a frame that is too small. The genre of formal portraiture has many rules, and these rules have been codified over centuries now.

Last edited:
Another reason to leave adequate space above and below, (as well as both sides) is for framing. Most people will want to frame their portraits, and this usually requires at least 1/4 inch all around while still leaving adequate "breathing room" around your subject. So when you crop (either in camera or in editing) right to the edge of the subject, you have absolutely no extra room.

Did you apply softening everywhere? cause she has no detail in her eyebrows, yet her earrings are very sharp and detailed.
This is what I'm seeing as well. Lots of areas that appear to be over softened and a lack of detail in most of the face, even though the hair looks tac sharp. To me, it looks overdone.

Most reactions

Back