P means program mode

sergezap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys, is anybody here using camera in "P" mode on a regular basis?
Since my first serious camera i tried, but couldn't find any purposeful use of it.
ASM with exposure compensation is pretty enough for all my needs.
Please, share your real life experience.

I used it mainly on my Canon SX60HS bridge camera when I was using it. I haven't used it in a year. It seemed to get the exposure right virtually every time so I just ran with it.

I use it a lot outside where the light/scene/ subject is changing rapidly and hand held in low light. The flexibility to change from auto, to aperture priority, to shutter priority, to ISO priority and reset to auto, with the press of a button and adjust EV on the fly, all without my eye leaving the view finder is extremely efficient. Not sure about other brands but with Pentax, shake reduction and several other features are disabled in manual mode.

@sergezap at one time I was vehemently opposed to anything even remotely related to auto modes in camera, but the technology is advancing so fast that it's scary. I find I'm using the "auto" button in LR more and more as the AI ability to learn my likes/dislikes in processing, makes it foolish not to. In the new K1 MKII I haven't had the opportunity to fully explore it yet, but the Scene Analysis,System, AUTO mode automatically optimizes exposure settings, and selects the most appropriate finishing touch for your subject. When using the optical viewfinder, it is also assisted by an algorithm that adopts the deep learning artificial intelligence technology, and makes an extensive analysis of a given scene based on the enormous volume of data accumulated from previous scenes. Think about that for a minute, an in camera computer that tabulates all the things you've done over previous shots, and compares it to the current scene, giving you a shot/finish that you would have done anyway.

Never had any positive background with any auto features on cameras or software.
5Dm3 auto WB is the only exception, but i moved from Canon for more universal photo/video possibilities.
I do prefer shooting people, so any kind of magic button produces really weird results.
The idea to try P mode on rapidly changing lighting conditions (sun through fast moving clouds) looks very interesting.

I've never used P, occasionally A & S, but nearly entirely Manual. Now, with EVF's, I just use the viewfinder. I am quite lazy and not learning P is a shortcoming and unfortunate.

"P" is where I leave my camera; that way I can pick it up and shoot if I don't have the time to check anything, and still be reasonably assured of a usable image. In the studio, it's manual only, and for event work, usually either "A" or "S" depending on the nature of the event and desired image.

I've never used P, occasionally A & S, but nearly entirely Manual. Now, with EVF's, I just use the viewfinder.
EVF, constant preview, zebras, histogram, eye detection, pairing AF point with spot metering - it feels like we live in the future now.

I've never used P, occasionally A & S, but nearly entirely Manual. Now, with EVF's, I just use the viewfinder.
EVF, constant preview, zebras, histogram, eye detection, pairing AF point with spot metering - it feels like we live in the future now.
Yes. If the future isn't here today, it will be here tomorrow. :cool-48:

I keep my cameras set to P mode and use that almost exclusively. It gives me the fastest access to get the shutter speed, f/stop combination and exposure I want. I set ISO manually and I keep the WB on my cameras set to unity. EC is my constant friend and I use it for every photo I take. After rigorous testing, I rely on the built-in camera meter in conjunction with a live histogram (no more DSLR). I treat digital exposure as achieving sensor saturation (very simple) and as such ignore any JPEG output from the camera. My camera JPEGs look horrible.

Joe

"P" is where I leave my camera; that way I can pick it up and shoot if I don't have the time to check anything, and still be reasonably assured of a usable image.

What a good idea.............

I use it a lot outside where the light/scene/ subject is changing rapidly and hand held in low light. The flexibility to change from auto, to aperture priority, to shutter priority, to ISO priority and reset to auto, with the press of a button and adjust EV on the fly, all without my eye leaving the view finder is extremely efficient. Not sure about other brands but with Pentax, shake reduction and several other features are disabled in manual mode.

A quick check with my K5ii confirms the SR works fine in manual mode. A great many functions are limited in 'Auto' mode making it completely useless to me, but pretty much everything works in P

I have P mode set up so the front wheel changes shutter speed & the rear one aperture, but tend to use A or S modes in most cases where I have the second wheel adjusting EC, without having to hold down a button with it.
One of my MFT cameras is also set up like, this unfortunately the other (IR converted) doesn't have a second wheel)

A quick check with my K5ii confirms the SR works fine in manual mode. A great many functions are limited in 'Auto' mode making it completely useless to me, but pretty much everything works in P

You are correct just checked the K1-ii and SR is active, not sure if it's messing with me or I'm going crazy because I could swear it said it was off earlier. I'm posting a question over on the Pentax thread, on something else if you get a chance to look, I need some help with an answer.

Yes, I am using it often. I get the feeling the camera is making better choices than i would otherwise. The lenses communicate distance? In low light the cameras still try to stop down a little bit (a good thing). For me it's a nice mode for documentary pictures. Efficient.

Guys, is anybody here using camera in "P" mode on a regular basis?
Since my first serious camera i tried, but couldn't find any purposeful use of it.
ASM with exposure compensation is pretty enough for all my needs.
Please, share your real life experience.

Most reactions

Back