paidpictures.com

Below are some prices from a couple of stock photo sites to give you how out of touch with market forces your company is.

By Market Forces I mean pays the best commissions to Stock Photographers themselves Can Stock Photo's? commisions are as follows.

Member Download
-----------Retail Return
Small----$1.50 $0.50 (33%)
Medium--$3.00 $1.75 (58%)
Large----$4.50 $3.00 (67%)

Guest Download
-----------Retail Return
Small----$3.00 $1.00 (33%)
Medium--$4.25 $2.50 (59%)
Large----$6.00 $4.00 (67%)

Compare this with Istock's commission structure which is not that great for Photographers (But it is cheapest for designers to download).

-----------Retail Return
Small-----$0.50 $0.10(20%)
Medium--$1.00 $0.20(20%)
Large-----$1.50 $0.30(20%)

As you can see the return for photographers is ten times more on Canstock.. Does your site come anywhere near this in price?

This is what you would have to beat to get photographers to start submitting to your site, a commission of $3.00-$4.00 to the Photographer themselves for each full sized pic you sell of theirs, and on top of that Photographers retain their rights to resell their photos as many times as they want to whoever they want.

By the way Istock has IstockPro which pays quite well also (but you need at least 100 photos in an online porffolio of good quality before you can join)

Could you please tell me why I should submit my photos to your site and lose complete ownership for one lousy buck, perhaps I am missing something here?

Kay said:
Furthermore, how can anyone speak for the other forum members?
We don't think this should be done. Let others speak and decide for themselves.

Geronimo gave me one dollar via paypal to speak for me. He now has exclusive rights to do so in my absence.

Should I now say Istock pays only as little as $ 0.10 per photo?
No, I should not, because that would not be correct.
Unfortunately, all too often the truth gets twisted on message boards.
Not always unintentionally.
This is not the place to discuss specific prices but we can tell you for most
photographs we pay a lot more than the highest price you wrote down,
and rightfully so, you should expect to be paid more when others (in this
case that's us) retain the exclusive rights.
We aren't a stockphoto agency. We offer our clients exclusivity.
Photographers always have the choice, when they don't like
an assignment they are free to ignore it. And it won't cost them because
we don't charge a membership fee like some stockphoto agencies do.
We trust photographers know how to separate facts from opinion.
We welcome those who know.

Kay said:

unless you have something else to contribute, i would not post anything any longer.

ADMINISTRATION

steve817 said:
Kay said:
Furthermore, how can anyone speak for the other forum members?
We don't think this should be done. Let others speak and decide for themselves.

Geronimo gave me one dollar via paypal to speak for me. He now has exclusive rights to do so in my absence.

I completely forgot about this thread. I needed a good laugh.

Dang I better check my balance now. I shall drunkenly uphold this right to speak for you too. Cheers

Kay said:

Let me put it this way Kay, if I wanted to sell a photo, I would rather sell the non-exclusive rights to Istock or better still to Canstock Photo for a couple of bucks than sell it to you exclusively for a dollar. At least with Istock and Canstock I can sell my Pics as often as I like.

I think you are trying very hard to defend a business model that is indefensible. Those agencies that do give their buyers the option to purchase exclusive ownership of Photos sell them for several hundred dollars with most of the commission going to the Photographer not the ridiculously low price of $1.00.

Anyone who still believes we only pay one dollar a picture should come and see. We understand some prefer not to offer exclusivity but this is ridiculous. There's no point in continuing this conversation.

Don't forget the transfer fee from PayPal guys. So it's actually more like $0.77 when you are done :lol:

Needless to say I don't think I will be giving any of my pictures away at your site Kay. I just sold all of mine to the kid down the street for some baseball cards and bubble gum :wink:

OUCH the hounds have been let loose!!!! This kind of reminds me of those snap the head on the doll "earn money while you watch TV" set ups. Where you put much more into it than ever getting out.

I'm an painter/photographer/graphic designer and I know my rights as to copyright and I know my time and work are worth more than just a buck and some change (relatively .50 IS "much more" when you think about the value of a dollar-lol).

Anyone- and obviously we all feel the same- trying to sucker the misinformed is BAD!!!! You can get a lot better results from your work by getting out there and doing the leg work yourself!!! not to mention you'll keep that "i'm such a sucker" taste out of yer mouth.

BTW my stomach hurts after reading the FAQ's on that site. Belly says NO!!! listen to the belly!!!! :pale:

The only person who has exclusive rights to my photos is me. It's totally insane to even consider giving your art away to someone exclusively for any amount of money. Not even 10 million dollars is worth what I poured my heart into.

Just judging from what quotes I've read here (I have not been to your site, and don't wish to visit), I've come to the conclusion that it is not a very professional site, and with the way you have worded things in your "faq" as some have quoted here, I wouldn't give you a photo even in a non-exclusive fashion. You sound very unprofessional, and spamming forums is one sure sign of it.

When a movie critic decides to not look at a specific movie but goes ahead making
statements about its content, what a bad job the director did or how actrice x played
her worst part ever, ... eventually the magazine publisher would find out and act
accordingly.
What else can we say.

Before you know it we will be charging you money for your photographs!!
Wait a minute, we already are.

Most reactions

Back