panasonic lumix g10 help

halpinio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys.newbie here.ive just purchased my first camera and am struggling already haha.the camera is a panasonic lumix g10 with a 14-42 lens.my problem is when i zoom into something far away and focus it.when i go to take the photo it zooms back out.is this correct.can i take take photos when zoomed right in.any help much appriciated.thanks

You are too close to the object for your camera to properly focus.

Thanks for the quick reply.What im trying to do it take a photo from far away.i zoom in then use the focus ring to zoom right up but when i press the shutter it just goes back to noirmal zoom

Are you sure you aren't confusing zoom with focus? I didn't think any of the M4/3 cameras had motorized zooming.

i probably am ha.ive never even held a camera before last night.yeah when i turn the zoom to 42 and then turn the focus wheel it brings the object right up in the camera but i cant actually take the photo that close.it just take the photo at 42 is that correct?

I don't own a Lumix camera, so I don't really know muuch about their issues. You might have some luck reading the trouble shooting section of your manual, it sure served me well.

yeah ive tried reading it and googling it but to no avail.would you normally be able to with that lens.for instance if im standing on a pier and i want to zoom in close to a boat out in the ocean to get a close picture.should i be able to would you think?

Well, sure. It seems like there's some kind of limiter on your camera. For instance, some cameras don't let you take a shot unless it verifies that the subject is in focus. Are you shooting in an 'automatic' mode?

its probably too dark

but it shouldn't focus itself at all in manual focus

no its happening in all lights..when i zoom to 45 and then use the focus wheel it seems to zoom a lot further but then i press the shutter and it takes the photo at 45..

From my take... The OP is confusing focus assist "magnification" with actual zoom.

OP, the Panny's assume that when you turn the focus wheel you are focusing manually. It assists this by zooming into a small area digitally for critical focus on the display. This doesn't mean that you are actually zoomed in at that point optically. The picture is still taken at 45mm or whatever the lens is currently set to. In other words, this "magnification" mode simply allows you to see minute detail easier to focus critically.... its not a digital zoom of sorts.

What you are describing is normal operation. There is an option in the menu to turn off this feature if it is adding confusion. Its clearly stated in the manual.

PS> Very few people here are familiar with micro 4/3 cameras (Panasonic Lumix G1, G10, G2, GH1, GH2, GF1, GF2 and Olympus E-P1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-PM1) or any mirrorless cameras. Ron's link above is a better resource.

Last edited:
OP is helped guys, sorry, I should've posted it. I PM'd him :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back