Parasitic Fish Lice

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I work at a place that does otter trawls, and we often catch cool things(spotted hake, skates, sea robins, lots of crab species, all types of fluke and flounder, etc). Sometimes the fish we pull up have parasitic fish lice, and I am always way more excited than my coworkers. I've even started preserving some. Here's one from today... Look at how cool the eyes are!!

beraby6u.jpg

rumaqada.jpg

upudeqe7.jpg

Don't mind the iPhone quality..

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, cool! Do you have one of those little plastic iPhone microscope "stands/adapter" dealios??? Sure looks neat to see low-magnification microscope type shots done on iPhone!

Oh man, cool! Do you have one of those little plastic iPhone microscope "stands/adapter" dealios??? Sure looks neat to see low-magnification microscope type shots done on iPhone!

Nope. I "free-lensed" it one the scope's eyepiece. The iPhone does a great job with that.

Jake

Very interesting. Got any more?

Here's one I found on the outer of the gills on a summer flounder.

y9u7yna8.jpg

I also found what I think to be a tapeworm IN the gills of the same fish.

qaqu6e3e.jpg

Jake

I've done some micrography, and if you can arrange a dark-field setup, they will greatly improve the visual quality of the images. Even with bright-field illumination, if you can put an occluding disk just below the subject, you can get some very dramatic lighting. Alternatively, I've used a dissection microscope (30x) with a strong focused light beam from the side to show the internal structure of translucent "things". It's been a while - my efforts in this area were on slide film somewhere in my slide archive...

ebubeje7.jpg

And this one last summer. Found about 8-10 on an American eel.

Jake

Um, yeah. I used to be an avid fisherman until almost all the fish I caught were infested with various parasites (gills, throat, body) and it's kinda off-putting when filetting the fish you get flesh-eating worms wiggling through the flesh. Reading about the sea lice infesting many if not all of the farmed salmon makes me reluctant to use this food source even though I enjoy the taste.

Um, yeah. I used to be an avid fisherman until almost all the fish I caught were infested with various parasites (gills, throat, body) and it's kinda off-putting when filetting the fish you get flesh-eating worms wiggling through the flesh. Reading about the sea lice infesting many if not all of the farmed salmon makes me reluctant to use this food source even though I enjoy the taste.

I just find parasites fascinating. Creepy and unsettling at times, but also intriguing. My invertebrate zoology professor had a pretty big influence on me, it seems.

Jake

Bump. I posted later last night.

I avoid eating farmed salmon as well. It's kinda gross and the industry is hurting the population of wild salmon.

Wild salmon though is pretty amazing, especially if you can get it fresh rather than frozen.

I avoid eating farmed salmon as well. It's kinda gross and the industry is hurting the population of wild salmon.

Wild salmon though is pretty amazing, especially if you can get it fresh rather than frozen.

I think I heard once on NPR that we export all our wild salmon and import mostly farm raised salmon. How does that make sense?!

Most reactions

Back