Parent's Cameras...

Willmus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On Spring break I have been gifted by my parents with their old 35mm cameras and lenses.

Aside from all these bits and pieces, manuals, instructions, and a couple photography books, here's the main equipment:

2 Canon AE-1's, I don't know the specific year but they were last used in the early 2000's right before my mother bought the family's first DSLR. My mother's camera works, but my father's has a couple of issues getting the film lever to move (the black lever that moves the film inside the camera between shots. I don't know the correct term.)

Canon 200mm fixed telescopic lense

Canon 28mm - 85mm adjustable zoom

Canon 50mm fixed lense

Asanuma 2x teleconverter lense for use with Canon EF lenses

Vanguard tripod

5 different hot flashes

and a few other gadgets and gizmos that I'll find out about later.

My father prefered fixed lenses while my mother, being a real estate agent, used the zoom lense for taking pictures of houses.

I'm currently in college and the cameras have been given to me so I "can learn how to take real photographs".

So far, I'm liking these film cameras. The lenses are cheap and easy to find, and I'm happy to see that I can still get film at my local walmart, primarily 200 and 400 speed film, which seem to be pretty standard film types. Additionally, I see that I can get and adapter for these lenses to be used in modern Canon DSLR cameras. I've already went through about 2 rolls of film using different lenses so that I can ensure everything works. But I do have a few questions:

1) Where can I get film developed (besides Walmart). I'd prefer to get the negatives, unless there's a good reason why I don't need them.

2) Any special chemicals or good things to have to keep the cameras (especially the lenses and the mirror) clean?

3) Any tips or pointers on using these cameras more effectively? I've taken plenty of digital pictures before, and I've gt a good idea on composing pictures, but what do I need to look out for that is normally not a problem with digital point and shoot cameras.

4) What do you use different films for? I just got fujifilm 200 and 400 speed, but I see that there are a lot of different speeds and other variables which I'm not familiar with.

I'l probably have more questions, but for now I'd like to get the rolls developed (can't afford or have the space for a dark room) to see how the photos turned out. I spent spring break in the Black Hills so surely I've got a few good photos in the bunch.

Thanks, and I'll probably post digital scans when I get the photos to help understand what I'm doing wrong (assuming I'm not doing it correctly).

--James

First thing I would do is run a roll of film through them just to make sure they're working and don't need new seals.

First thing I would do is run a roll of film through them just to make sure they're working and don't need new seals.

Thanks sparky, but I just put about 2 rolls through the camera (the one which works, I think) to make sure the mechanics are there. I'm looking around to get film developed somewhere either local, or through mail-order/internet.

--James

I'd check for a local camera store first. Ask for processing only... no prints or scan.

Well, unless the OP has a scanner at home, he'll need at least scans of the negatives. It takes a while to learn how to read a negative, and even longer to accurately read a color negative.

OP - shooting the film is the first start, but you won't know until you see the images whether or not everything is working properly. You might have some light leaks or a sticky shutter but you won't know it until you see the images.

My first choice would always be a local camera store - just try googling "film development services" and see if anything comes up for your area. In fact...I know South Dakota is a big place. Any of these near you? Film Developing in Rapid City South Dakota with Reviews Ratings - YP.com or Film Developing in Sioux Falls South Dakota with Reviews Ratings - YP.com If not, just plug in your zip code. Harold's Photo seems to be a chain, with 2 locations in Sioux Falls, one in Sioux City, and one in Fargo, ND http://haroldsphoto.com/site/ and their film services (possibly mail-in?): http://haroldsphoto.com/site/storeservices/filmservices

If nothing in SD works, there are other mail-in services like Dwayne's (A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne s Photo or The Darkroom (https://thedarkroom.com) that are better than bringing it to Wal-mart. The truth is, many Wal-Marts send film to Dwayne's, but you'll get better consistency if you just send it there directly yourself.

Most reactions

Back